bulk feed storage

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
in arkansas I can't find any grain storage bins for sale. I need to hold 2-4 tons at a time. do any of you have any tips on making one or using something around the farm

I use an old poly drink tank to hold 2 ton of soy bean meal, and throw a tarp on it to keep the cats from using it as a bathroom.

plbcattle":34oufuco said:
in arkansas I can't find any grain storage bins for sale. I need to hold 2-4 tons at a time. do any of you have any tips on making one or using something around the farm

One of the local feed mills is buying old upright feed storage bins from AR, hauling them up here and reselling them. Look around for an old turkey or chicken farm, that's where he is buying them.

dun

If it comes from a poultry farm, I'd leave it - there is residue from heaven only knows what in those bins.

Bez

I know i'm the new guy on here and a little newer than most of ya'll with cattle but I do run 1.1 million laying hens. I might be wrong but i can't think of anything we feed that would leave a harmful residue in the bins. I know of backyard farmers that feed our spilled feed to steers and haven't seen one go belly up yet. I don't swear by it because different people use different feed formulas with poultry, but you will probally be alright with a poultry bin.

by the way i know we have been selling 11 ton old bins for $150. So you can probally find a heck of a deal.

tripleS

My comments should be taken to heart.

My wife ships 30,000 birds (broilers) every 8 days.

The large and reputable poultry ops are not a problem - but, there are some out there who feed things added to feed that should never be put in a cow.

Not a slur on those who do the job properly, but things do have a habit of coating the bin walls.

All I am saying is be bloody careful.

Bez

I agree with Bez too then. I speak only from a laying hen producer point of view and will be the first to admit that i don't know much about broilers. I suppose they might have additives that help with growth that could be harmful. bez is right, just be careful and know who you buy it from.

Because of the way things have gone in this country, most other industries in Canada are looking at their feed regulations - very, very carefully..

I know the poultry and hog industries are examining these issues very carefully.

I cannot speak for south of the border, but I am willing to place my next paycheque on the following statement.

"There is a possibility that proteins found in chicken feed comes from other animals."

Chicken feed - when purchased commercially can - repeat can have animal parts in it.

I also know that it can - repeat can - be the same for hogs.

That is not to say it is always the case.

However, if it is located in the feed bin and you start using that bin for cattle - can you 100% guarantee it will not get into your cattle feed?

But, did we not just see a thread where Sherry told how her son was feeding chicken litter to his cattle? Litter contains things other than chicken manure and straw I can assure you.

How much does it take to contaminate? I do not know. Is it one microscopic piece? Is it ten pounds?

In fact there is no one - not even from the scientific community who can state with absolute certainty.

All - and I do mean all scientific attempts to artificially induce BSE have to date failed. Does that mean it is not a feed related problem - well, perhaps. But I am not at this point in time prepared to take the chance.

Canadians and Americans have fed their cattle exactly the same for many years. We have had cases of BSE in this country. The one quetion I have always wondered about is:

Why only in Canada?

There will be some smart XXXXX folks who will come back with the "diseased cattle and so on". Cattle feed bans and so on. But if it is examined in a clinical light - animal protiens have been added to cattle feed for years - on both sides of the border.

Why did it not happen sooner? Why not back before the animal products were banned in feed?

Are there recorded instances of improper feed additives. Yes - and on both sides of the border.

Cattle from the UK have been imported to both of our countries.

What is the trigger that applies to the Alberta based animals? No one knows. And I am not prepared to say it is not "feed based" - thus I am so completely adamant about what comes onto this place now.

I have hijacked this thread and I am sorry - but the only way to guarantee no banned feed additives is to no kidding not briing on any prepared feeds. Tough - if not impossible in some cases to do. Chicken feed bins MAY be a risk - and steam cleaning will not kill a prion.

And - read the label. Even though we now have proof that reading the label is only as good as the paper it is printed on.

I'm off my horse now - cheers.

Bez

I'm sure no contaminantologist, new word, but I would think that a good steam cleaning inside and out would resolve any worrys about feed that may have been in a bin previously.

dun

Dun

Not looking to argue or denegrate your opinion.

If the steam cleaning gets the prions out - if indeed there any in the bin - then yes you are correct.

But .... this type of heat DOES NOT kill prions - at least according to the reading I have done. So, if the prion remains - there is a contaminent possibility.

That is where I am going with this.

I fact they are darned near indestructible.

To kill a prion at present:

Currently, BSE-infected material must be burned or treated with highly caustic chemicals.

Journmal of Infectious Diseases -
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/magazine/spring04/preventive.htm

"Researchers are working in Keratinase could be used for cleaning meat-processing equipment exposed to an infected animal, for disposing of infected tissues or for decontaminating hospital equipment exposed to patients with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease."

But we are not there yet.

Am I over reacting - possibly / probably. But I am so paranoid that I always tell folks -

"If it happened here - for whatever reason - do not for an instant think you are fire proof".

Stay well,

Bez

I said I was no contaminantologist. It would make me feel better if someone actually "knew" what causes it. Science is a wonderful thing, at times, but all it is when it comes to BSE is an educated guess.
Remember the eggs will kill you, eggs are good for you situation. I think we're back into the good for you stage now, but that could change.
My view of science is kind of jaded though.
A number of years ago the endangered species folks tried to get a particular ground squirel placed on the list. To me and most others it looked like a color variation of the common ground squirrel. A team came down from one of the universitys and spent a couple of years studying them. After living with the little critters for a couple of years it was determined by the study that it was a color variant of the common ground squirrel. To make a pinfully long story short, the powers that be decided that the study wasn't valid and that the people that had never even seen the things were right. It was put on the threatened list and many square miles of desert was put off limits. A couple of years later it was quietly dropped, bu the area was declared a wilderness. After all, nobody was using it.
I can feel my bloodpressure rising...........

dun

There are lots of things that could put a cattleman out of business. However, I believe the odds of your operation being shut down because you fed your cattle some soy hulls or other feed out of a feed bin you purchase from a contract poultry farm are so small, your odds would be better waiting on lightening to strike you on a sunny day.

However, this whole BSE crisis is based on people worrying about something that probably isn't going to have any effect of their own personal health with the exception of those amoung us that like to eat the occasional cow brain or potted meat.

This whole BSE thing is a load of BS. It's probably always been there. Even if it hasn't always been there it's not a threat to meat eating humans. The border issue has much more to do with trade wars and middle-eastern wars than with public safety.

And now we see it turning full circle, growing and morphing from a safety issue into a government control issue. All this talk about chip implants and traceability has more to do with the government control and the almighty $ than it has to do with health. Sure, it would be real nice to have accurate inventory numbers for the national or north American herd with counts for calves, brood cows, slaughter animals, etc. Real nice for the packers and traders. It won't do a thing in the world for the rancher or the consumer – except add to costs.

Craig-TX

I have a difficult time arguing your points because I wholeheartedly agree with them.

However, once politics enters the arena the producer has to be squeaky clean.

If the producer is not, then someone - somewhere - WILL make a serious effort to take you down.

Living on the wrong side of that fence has taught me that. Be that as it may, it also has had its' good points. We have had to really look hard at our feed procedures, our traceback systems, our slaughter and our marketing systems.

Things will get better for those who hang on. There is also more money to be made - as I have said before - low cost - low cost - low cost.

Stay well,

Bez

I use an old gravity wagon body I got it for free because it was used for fetilizer rusted at the seams inside . we pacthed it up ,set it up on blocks inside a shed ,works good but you have to go in sometimes to push the feed down to empty it out before filling again . we auger it right in from our grinder mixer

Craig-TX":jbcz0exs said:
This whole BSE thing is a load of BS. It's probably always been there. Even if it hasn't always been there it's not a threat to meat eating humans. The border issue has much more to do with trade wars and middle-eastern wars than with public safety.

And now we see it turning full circle, growing and morphing from a safety issue into a government control issue. All this talk about chip implants and traceability has more to do with the government control and the almighty $ than it has to do with health. Sure, it would be real nice to have accurate inventory numbers for the national or north American herd with counts for calves, brood cows, slaughter animals, etc. Real nice for the packers and traders. It won't do a thing in the world for the rancher or the consumer – except add to costs.

Craig-TX

"government control" being the operative phrase here. ;-)

We have stored soybean pellets in some old poultry house bins.........We lost approximately 18 cows and 21 calves, but I believe it was from the actual litter my son was feeding. I don't believe in it if it is ok! I am sure their are formulas to mix by and feed it, I still don't like the idea and it will never be done again on my farm.

We don't store the pellets for long periods and we only purchased them for mainly winter feeding and mostly for our weaned calves.

I am going to look more into what Bez said though.

Latest posts