Bulgogi

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
Jogeephus asked for this recipe on another thread so I thought I would move it over here where it belonged. I already had the marinade made when I saw his request for the recipe so that is where the first picture will start.

Basic Marinade:
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
a whole head of garlic, smashed and chopped
1/2 medium yellow onion,chopped
6-8 green onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Things I add in to change it up:
Bell Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Ginger

B138F849-7192-4FE8-B842-F64E7088D5BA-11050-000010014F20A1BF.jpg

I always ask the butcher to slice my roasts specifically for bulgogi, but if your doing it yourself or the butcher doesn't know what it is. Its sliced down to approximately the thickness of thick cut bacon. For this amount of marinade, you want about a three pound roast. Sliced it should look something like this, from here you want to cut it down into 2-3 inch sections

45178E97-250C-461B-9608-73C59D5804A4-11050-000010014756A5E2.jpg

Toss the meat into the marinade

B7DA7132-5497-41AD-A4CB-145A795B9AB1-11050-00001001400C7D6B.jpg

At this point i usually separate out half of it and freeze it because there are only two of us.

Fry in a wok over medium heat, in the marinade, until all the pink is gone.

358B9BCD-842B-454A-B401-5B1AAF1EF670-11050-00001001293B7AC3.jpg

Garnish with green onion and serve over sticky rice.

You can also grill this like you would steak fajitas, but you have to toss the marinade losing the nice sauce this makes for the rice.

Tip: Break apart the head of garlic down into cloves and toss in warm water. Do this as soon as u start making the marinade and the cloves will peel effortlessly. The lady that taught me this recipe also taught me this trick.

3waycross":1sneeo31 said:
What is the country of origin of this dish?
Korea, my old boss who was born and raised in Korea (until she married a soldier and moved to the states) taught me how to make this.

I probably should have specified that this is made with beef, although i know it works with venison, chicken, and pork also.

FarmGirl10":3mhcnf9e said:
3waycross":3mhcnf9e said:
What is the country of origin of this dish?
Korea, my old boss who was born and raised in Korea (until she married a soldier and moved to the states) taught me how to make this.

I probably should have specified that this is made with beef, although i know it works with venison, chicken, and pork also.

and rat, and dog, and monkey, and snake, and lizard too i bet! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Actually it looks like something i would like to try with venison or Elk!

I completely forgot to put an ingredient, a a whole head of garlic, smashed and chopped.

Definitely going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing. The marinade is very similar to the marinade I just used for some deer jerky except the sesame oil. Where in the world am I going to find sesame oil? :???:

You can find it in a normal store. Should be by teriyaki and soy sauce.

Thanks. Would that be near the lard and fatback? You just don't know how limited our shelves are but her sweetnesty does travel to Walmart on the weekends so I'll put in an order.

I had a friend over that saw this thread open on my computer. He just happens to be Asian and started talking about how good this dish was. Before he left he told me that he would get me some of the "real" stuff from the best place he knows of around Dallas. Now I can't wait for him to produce.

hooknline":1bois365 said:
We're going to try this recipe this week. I'm looking forward to it.
Dont forget the garlic.....since i forgot to put it in the original post. sucks that I cant edit it in to fix it.

slick4591":1mccmhum said:
I had a friend over that saw this thread open on my computer. He just happens to be Asian and started talking about how good this dish was. Before he left he told me that he would get me some of the "real" stuff from the best place he knows of around Dallas. Now I can't wait for him to produce.

i.e. dog meat? :lol2:

Farmgirl, it sorta looks like cat food when cooked, but I'm sure it tastes good!

SSGenetics":3w4q9q2r said:
slick4591":3w4q9q2r said:

i.e. dog meat? :lol2:

Farmgirl, it sorta looks like cat food when cooked, but I'm sure it tastes good!

If it is I'd better never know about it. :bang:

After 30 minutes looking through our grrocer's shelves I found it. Not by the lard, not by the oil, not by the specialty foods, not in the hispanic section but between some soy sauce! AND I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO ASK! :banana:

Farmgirl, a quick question on this, I'm going to try this in the next few days, do you let the meat sit in the marinade for any length of time or just start frying in the wok right away?

Thanks it looks great!

Alan- the man cook! :?

I like to put it in the marinade around lunch time, so I usually let it sit 4-6 hours. You can cook it right away though.

Thanks, with luck I'll try it tomorrow, but like most we wake up and by the afternoon it turns into a "let's bring home a pizza" day.

Made this last night over rice, it was excellent. Like you I froze half for a later date, it's just my wife and I so it's a portion for two meals. I stuck to your recipe, left out the peppers but put in the ginger. I also used about 3 lbs of cube steak rather than roast, no roast left from our last half we kept. It will make it into my "recipe box" as a regular meal. It was so much different than most of the type of meals we have and excellent.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Alan