Bug ID?

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
This heat may or may not be related. But they are everywhere. It's like a plague.
All over the house. Throughout the yard. Etc.. neighbors place is covered in em too.
Anyone know what the heck they are!?!
679855472.jpgIMG_5497.jpgIMG_5498.jpg

This heat may or may not be related. But they are everywhere. It's like a plague.
All over the house. Throughout the yard. Etc.. neighbors place is covered in em too.
Anyone know what the heck they are!?!
View attachment 19144
Hemiptera... true bugs... triangular thorax, sucking mouth parts. Squash bugs, assassin bugs, leaf hoppers, aphids, and cicadas are all members of the same order. The smaller one is an immature one, the other an adult.

These things are small. Like gnats. Maybe slightly bigger. But not much.

That one pic is zoomed way in
Still Hemiptera. Just not sure of the specific species.

Have you ever looked under a squash leaf and found babies that look like aphids? Strange that they are so many and around a building rather than on the plants they eat. Are there any crops close to where you see them?

Well. South across the road was some junky junky canola. They cut it several weeks ago

Don't look anything like the squash bugs I've seen
The one on the left is a baby... looks like an aphid as an infant. The one on the right is hard to see well enough but I think it's an adult. Just smaller than the usual squash bug.

Of course we may be speaking two different languages. Around here a stink bug is a black beetle that walks around with its butt in the air and smells bad if you touch it. What you call a squash bug might be different from what I call them. Regional differences in what we call stuff.

They are still Hemiptera. That's an "order" of insects, a scientific designation.

I looked a little further and got this from google: Lygus Hahn insects infest canola. Adults are 6 to 7 mm (1/4 inch) long; immatures (nymphs) are 1 to 6 mm long

The bugs might be getting hungry now that their food was cut.

The one on the left is a baby... looks like an aphid as an infant. The one on the right is hard to see well enough but I think it's an adult. Just smaller than the usual squash bug.

Of course we may be speaking two different languages. Around here a stink bug is a black beetle that walks around with its butt in the air and smells bad if you touch it. What you call a squash bug might be different from what I call them. Regional differences in what we call stuff.

They are still Hemiptera. That's an "order" of insects, a scientific designation.

I looked a little further and got this from google: Lygus Hahn insects infest canola. Adults are 6 to 7 mm (1/4 inch) long; immatures (nymphs) are 1 to 6 mm long

Yep. Stink bugs are bigger black bugs. Nasty lil things. Definitely not those.

Squash bugs are usually gray and shaped like a triangle...
About the size of a child's fingernail

we get swarms of little bugs like that out of mustard weed when there has been a good winter. they will be all over the place for a week or so then disappear. like Travlr said, they are true bugs and most live by sucking plant juices. many are very specific to certain plants others are more general feeders. some are predators and some suck mammal blood. we have those too - kissing bugs or as Grandma called them, Walapai Tigers. we call them suck bugs. they like hot temperatures and can transmit Chaggas disease. never had that though the bastids bite us all summer.

yeah, we call the largish black beetle a stink bug too. but I see why the green bug is called the same - they stink too!

the black beetles are also called Pinacate Beetles.

Stink bug . Yours are something else .
View attachment 19150

Stink beetle

This is a "stink bug" where I live.

Latest posts