bud box

Help Support CattleToday:

kiend17":3h6aeqb8 said:
should the walls of a bud box be see threw?

Give a little thought to making sure you can climb up if one turns on you. To answer you question, mine is see thru.

Supposedly, the ideal set up has see through walls at the end of the bud box (to keep them moving to daylight) then solid walls on the sides (especially wall nearest entrance to alleyway leading to chute).

Don't use one myself but ones I looked at had a piece of plywood on the gate so it was Esser for cow see chute and allyway
But Bigfoot has point most I see advertised are all open and I don't know What difference it would make the purpose is for then to turn and find opening on their way back even though one with plywood seem work ok I would say it could make them stop as well

ok thank you im in the process of building one and its gonna be up against the south fence of my feedlot and i was thinking of making it a windbreak but all else will be open was alos planing on making the back gate solid so the couldnt see threw it

I recently built a bud box and did a lot of research on tubs vs bud boxes, then a lot on bud boxes themselves when I decided that was the route I wanted to go. Reading literature published by Bud Williams, and Mr. William's wife, the logic behind the open sides it for them to enter the bud box at a higher rate of speed, which then translates into their movement back to where they came from and down the alleyway.
I have found with ours, and the limited time I've been using it, that if a person spends a little more time with your cattle in training them to walk by you in the sorting alley the better it works. Our older cows, that have been worked for years, go through like a dream, but calves and heifers seem to balk a little bit more because they aren't wanting to step past you. If a person was to spend some time with those calves letting them go in and out of it a couple times past the cut gate, then divert them down the alley way I think it would help the flow immensely.
The other thing to remember is that the bud box is dang sure no place to be kai yieing cattle. The minute they get stressed they will start whirling around and not be able to find the hole. It's important to have somebody in the back sending cattle down the alley who knows how to handle cattle quietly.

My tub is set on angle, so it works the same as a bud box more or less. Good part is, is I don't need to be inside it.

You can see in this pic while I was building it..

2826.jpg

The tub appears to be off to the right, the planks on the left are set near in line with the closed swing gate, but enough that it directs them into the race.

Load tub, and give them a second - as soon as one finds the race they start filing down and start squeeze the gate behind them, very rare to get one pointed in the wrong direction, and if you do you just hold the gate an extra second for it to spin around and follow the others.The closed gate then prevents them from backing up also.

Supa Dexta":dtlwfk8o said:
My tub is set on angle, so it works the same as a bud box more or less. Good part is, is I don't need to be inside it.

You can see in this pic while I was building it..

2826.jpg

The tub appears to be off to the right, the planks on the left are set near in line with the closed swing gate, but enough that it directs them into the race.

Load tub, and give them a second - as soon as one finds the race they start filing down and start squeeze the gate behind them, very rare to get one pointed in the wrong direction, and if you do you just hold the gate an extra second for it to spin around and follow the others.The closed gate then prevents them from backing up also.

I like that set up. I do have one question though. What is the purpose of the alleyway getting wide again at the curve? Seems like it would be a little counter productive in that you work them real well through the tub, then they go down the alley and then have a chance to get balled up again trying to make the turn back into the second alley. Maybe it's just how I"m looking at it.

That picture was just part way completed, but showed the tub. There is another steel curve that maintains the width throughout the bend. More recent pic, but still picking away at it.

20161111_120413.jpg

That's a spring loaded man gate next to the curve, where I enter to reset tub and gather animals down in the yard. It all works pretty slick.

Latest posts