bucks when started cantering

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
Finally got back to riding a coming 3 year old quarter horse gelding yesterday. I started him a little last fall and haven't done much of anything with him this winter, rode him a time or two. I have him doing the basics well, turning and stopping and moving to pressure sidepassing. His problem, if I'll call it that yet, is bucking when moved into a canter. I put a flank rope on him and worked him from the ground and it seems he is understanding bucking is not benificial. I hope he remembers this when I ride him today.

Oh boy, do I know this scenario well.

Things I did;

1. Tried to ride it out of him not being too demanding when asked to canter.
2. Tried to ride it out of him by being more demanding.
3. Cantered in the round pen. Oh, he does this well every time :-(
4. Flank roped him. Worked for 5 or 6 nice easy canters and then blew me off. I have the video.
5. Changed saddles.
6. Changed blankets.
7. Changed snaffle bits.
8. Although the previous owners had him checked, I had his back checked by a vet again.
8. Sent him to a "professional" trainer. Come to find out the trainer only cantered him in a round pen or a small turn out. He likes to open pasture buck :)

The most two recent things I have done is this. PAY ATTENTION to his head. If he even looks like he wants to stick his head between his legs I pull his head up. I don't snatch it but if he gets it lower than I want I gently but firmly pull it up. One rein in each hand and watch that head. If he bucks and you manage to stay on, just as soon as you can make him spin circles hard, fast, and long.

The second thing I did was put a anti grazing device on him. It has three adjustable loops to fit over the horn. First one, he will hit the bit when his nose gets down to just below his chest. The second, he will hit the bit between his knees and chest. The third, he will hit the bit between his ankles and knees. I ride him with it but have kept it in the third position opting to rely on my catching him trying to stick his nose in the dirt. If he aggressively tries I WILL rip his mouth out but so far he has been doing much better. I even had a lady (excellent rider) work him at a canter yesterday after I had cantered him across a field a couple times. She cantered him in circles both directions working on lead changes.

If you are not comfortable with having nothing but reins in your hands when you try to canter him then hold one rein taught but don't pull on his mouth, grip a night latch with the other hand, then if he even makes you think he is going to buck pull that nose up to you. This requires you be really careful you don't wreck him and have him roll over. Be ready to bail if you pulled too hard and caused him to turn his head and then flip over on his body due to loss of balance.

When you try to get him to canter, try to do it with just calf pressure and voice command with no heels in him. He will be more comfortable initially this way. Work him from the ground with a boot or shoe. Use the heel to push it in his side gently at first and then harder. Watch for a cow kick. It is ok for him to move around you just keep his nose turned in towards you and follow him around reapplying pressure. You are trying to get him used to feeling pressure there in his ribs and not being scared by it. You want them to yield but not be scared of it. DO IT FROM BOTH SIDES.

Now, last but not least this is what I wanted to do but could not find a volunteer. Find a 20 YO bullet proof kid that is a "REAL COWBOY" :D and put him up on him and tell him to walk-trot-canter-run over and over for about an hour straight or longer if the horse can take it.

I have one that never bucked until I decided he was not yielding to my heels. I put on spurs and lightly touched him and bucko! He wasn't serous but I had to keep using the spurs gently till he decided a snake was not biting him.

Sorry for such a long post but trust me I feel for you. Been there done that got the scars.

We had a somewhat similar problem with a 10-year old gelding. Had him in the round pen and when he transitioned from a lope to a canter his back end went straight up in the air and he tried to run on three legs. Vet said he clipped the back of one leg with the other hoof and it's just like hitting your funny bone. He suggested running him in splint boots. Haven't had any problem since.

I'll keep ya posted. The one rein stop is good if you don't loose your stirrup and balance during a sideways buck...lol. Oh, I don't think he's being bad...just young and not sure of things. Probably some more ground work and easy going stuff. I may have pushed too quick on the canter. That Mississippi ground aint' getting any softer though.

rc":2oxlkymw said:
I'll keep ya posted. The one rein stop is good if you don't loose your stirrup and balance during a sideways buck...lol. Oh, I don't think he's being bad...just young and not sure of things. Probably some more ground work and easy going stuff. I may have pushed too quick on the canter. That Mississippi ground aint' getting any softer though.

Tie him up with one of those sweet halters of yours. :D

I try to catch them before they can buck now. I realized I'm not 18 anymore. :lol2:

I have a new eye splice on those lead ropes on the halters now. New and improved...lol. Man I am glad to see spring comin'

rc":3vfd1zq1 said:
I have a new eye splice on those lead ropes on the halters now. New and improved...lol. Man I am glad to see spring comin'

What? You quit wrapping them with fishing line? :lol2: Still love mine and use them all the time.

I learned a really neat eye splice where you splice back up into the rope. It is real strong and looks good. I'll show you a picture.

This is a common problem but for starters you need to do a lot more basics with the horse before you attempt to canter. Common problems also are the rider position causing these green horses to buck, so stay forward in the saddle and way up off the back. Also, the flank rope usage is down right a huge mistake, that is not how to train a horse to stop bucking, that will always come back to haunt you.

hayray":1iejjo71 said:
Also, the flank rope usage is down right a huge mistake, that is not how to train a horse to stop bucking, that will always come back to haunt you.

i have to agree with hayray.

i am NOT suggesting this as a solution, just telling the story - my cowboy/buckaroo brother-in-law helped cure a bucker that i had by riding her, letting her buck and then spurring her into it again and again, she was finally dripping with sweat and ready for him to leave her alone after a while of it. i was just riding out her bucks and then trying to work her (circles, round pen, etc) hoping it wouldn't happen again, he took the problem too her (he's a braver rider than me! :dunce: ) again, NOT suggesting that as your answer, but it goes along with one of flaboy's solutions.

an oldtimer i know, takes his "problem" horses down to the river and rides them on a sandbar, says they can't buck enough to do any damage in the deep, heavy footing, then he rides them about 4 miles back to where the trailer is. he says it teaches them they can't get rid of him and that the temper tantrum wasn't worth the effort.

my only real advice is that if you can't stop this horse from bucking, put wheels under it, there's no shame in it. good luck to you and be careful.

Thanks, I'm sorry if anyone took the advice of using the flank rope which is something no one should attempt if you do not know what you are doing. In my years of training professionaly I always start with a lot of basics, flexing and much ground work. This was not the fault of the horse, just me skipping some refreshing exercises and not really enough to warrant putting wheels under a 2 year old. By the way, he's doing much better. Thanks.

check your saddle fit. If he was doing well when you stopped riding him last fall, something has changed. If he has a good mind, he is bucking because something isn't right. If he is a bucker, you would have known it when you started him.

He may have a chiropractic problem too. Something may be hurting when you ask him to lope off. Flanking him and making him buck will only increase the pain and give him a reason to protest.

rc, glad things are getting better.

For the rest, I am not an advocate of using a flank rope either. It is more of a middle resort for me. This is after the normal stuff hasn't proven effective. My bucker while green was not a freshly started boy. He had been to a trainer before I bought him. I had rode him quite a bit. He had perfect manners in the round pen at a canter. His problem was in the wide open areas. I did flank rope him after about two months of his continued bucking issues and I'm not sure it helped at all. I have however seen it work so I would not rule it out as a training aid if necessary.

IMHO, what works for one horse doesn't necessarily work on all horses.

Get them like this on the ground.Throw them down and set on them.Make sure you get your point across.
The flank deal will work you just have to leave it on them long eneough and make their life miserable when they do.Make them buck untill they are give flat smooth out and stop moving.I have flanked one and reined him up with a ring snaffle give them eneough slack in the lines that the horse can move and not bump the bit untill he drops his head to buck then the bit will bite him you wont kill him believe me if the corners of his mouth get soar it wont hurt him for ever but it will help get the idea.Then get on another horse and get after him.I rope them with a breakaway and drive him around the roping pen untill he is sick and tired and you cant get him to do anything but go on.Then catch him right then and get on and ride him.If the water is running down his leg and hes thumping for air he will be alright.If a horse continues to not ride he is dangerious and has no value.
You get on on the ground and you are above him then you become the intimidator not him.When you take their legs away you take away their means of escape and their means of controlling the situation.You controll him physically you controll him mentally.Quit letting the horse controll the situation.

Latest posts