When do you like.....

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
to wean your colts?

With cattle it seems to be about the same for everybody. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on horses.

:D

I wean my at five months, But it really depends on shape the mares in, If she is still in really good shape I wean at five months, but if the colt is really draging her down, I have weand them earlier.

If my mare is bred back I'll wean at 3 to 4 months, if not 4 to 5 months. Also if the foal is being to rough with the mare they get weaned earlier, but never before 3 months.

JMO
Alan

A few years ago I bought a mare from a differnt state and had her shipped. When she arrived, she looked like she had a little grass belly. I didn't think much of it and I thought when I started to ride her she would lose it. A couple of months later I couldn't believe it, she just kept getting bigger! I thought, well maybe she's pregnant. But how?

I found out that her previous owners thought they could put her in a pen with a 2 year old stallion that was going to be gelded the next day. They were wrong!

Since this was my first filly, I didn't know when to wean her. I thought I would let the dam wean her. Next time, I'll step in earlier. After almost a year, she still wasn't weaned.

i've been around horses for over 62 years and I firmly believe that a foal should be AT LEAST 6 months before starting to wean...they may wean alright younger than 6 months BUT...they will be the ones more likely just to go back sucking once you but them with their mother...taking up even more time...they will suck even after the mother is dry...they will also be a lot more likely to try to nibble on people...because they did not get their full of sucking...if you wait at least 6 months then start gradually weaning the foal...it will work a whole lot better

Heritage_Farmboy":2f4ug3z1 said:
i've been around horses for over 62 years and I firmly believe that a foal should be AT LEAST 6 months before starting to wean...they may wean alright younger than 6 months BUT...they will be the ones more likely just to go back sucking once you but them with their mother...taking up even more time...they will suck even after the mother is dry...they will also be a lot more likely to try to nibble on people...because they did not get their full of sucking...if you wait at least 6 months then start gradually weaning the foal...it will work a whole lot better

Whoa, more likley to nibble on people because they didn't breast feed long enough? Don't think so, they nibble because they are very curious and also because it's what horses do to other horses. But then again I only have about 30 years in.

This is not meant as an attack, just a debate.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":2yb1k87u said:
Heritage_Farmboy":2yb1k87u said:

Whoa, more likley to nibble on people because they didn't breast feed long enough? Don't think so, they nibble because they are very curious and also because it's what horses do to other horses. But then again I only have about 30 years in.

This is not meant as an attack, just a debate.

JMO,
Alan

Latest posts