BUckling cow

Help Support CattleToday:

In my experience, buckling is usually caused by them being overstressed. With a some quite time they should start walking normally. Whenever I can buy one that is buckling at the right price, I do. The longest it has taken for recovery has been 4 weeks and she was a real over-revved nut job.

My suggestion in your situation is to get the cow in a more comfortable environment and she should recover.

well i bought her at our salebarn because she is a half sister to my show heifer last year and her sis was a real flipping nut case and i moved her from the barn to my farm so i could keep her in the pipe corral cause she likes to run the fences the reason the guy was selling her is that he tried to halter break her for two weeks and she about broke her neck on numerous occasions i paid good money for her she was fine when i bought her but i think being run by the horses and the whole salebarn atmosphere

Sounds like she has been stressed out for too long. The salebarn experience just pushed her over the edge. Just handle her calmly and gently and she should straighten up shortly. Probably be good to put another cow with her as they are herd animals and don't like being alone.

cowboybeef":1doig3rg said:
well i bought her at our salebarn because she is a half sister to my show heifer last year and her sis was a real flipping nut case and i moved her from the barn to my farm so i could keep her in the pipe corral cause she likes to run the fences the reason the guy was selling her is that he tried to halter break her for two weeks and she about broke her neck on numerous occasions i paid good money for her she was fine when i bought her but i think being run by the horses and the whole salebarn atmosphere

Not being a smarta$$ but in my mind you have just given some of the worst reasons I have ever heard to buy a cow. well i bought her at our salebarn because she is a half sister to my show heifer last year and her sis was a real flipping nut case.

You went out of your way to buy a cow that you know has a good chance to be nuts, and now you want advice on how to fix her. Like my Grandpa used to say "Have you learned anything from this"?

Good luck!

Her SIS calmed down and is now one of the better cows in my herd she has great bloodlines and is a pretty complete package that's why i bought herw

cowboybeef":rkrsg35u said:
Her SIS calmed down and is now one of the better cows in my herd she has great bloodlines and is a pretty complete package that's why i bought herw

Complete package except being a flipping nutcase that needs special treatment. And will produce more nutcases that will need more special attention.

How can you say a nutcase has great bloodlines? Being a nutcase is a genetic defect that needs culled.

djinwa":39w2pwnw said:
cowboybeef":39w2pwnw said:

Complete package except being a flipping nutcase that needs special treatment. And will produce more nutcases that will need more special attention.

How can you say a nutcase has great bloodlines? Being a nutcase is a genetic defect that needs culled.

Guess some folks just enjoy turning what should be a pleasant experience into a train wreck.

For those that can take an upset animal and calm her down and make her productive all the more power to them.

There are the those that upset the most sedate of old cows, they should just be kept away from them.

1wlimo":2zl8nlh3 said:
For those that can take an upset animal and calm her down and make her productive all the more power to them.

There are the those that upset the most sedate of old cows, they should just be kept away from them.
The ones that are bad are the ones that start out calm and turn into nut cases after a copule of years. We had a cow that we bought as a yearling. The first 5 claves she was easy going could do anythign with her or her calf. THen she for some reason developed a hardon for everyone but me. She would charge anyone in the pasture but me and even worse would sneak around behind the wife and charge her from behind.
It;s no fun walking around in the pasture when you have to constantly keep looking over your shoulder.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1s7xfwyq said:
Nobody explained what a "buckling cow" was.

Buckling is when the hind leg pastern joint is folding forward when standing/walking
Vet told me it is neurological and is caused by an injury or just being overstressed and short circuiting
The only place I've ever seen one is at the salebarn
Usually get over it in a few weeks with some peace & quiet
Most are less than docile and just have a meltdown

Latest posts