Buck Knees

Help Support CattleToday:

gmcattle

Reaction score
Hello
I'm new here so please bare with me... I have a questions about calves with buck knees? We have some maine cross calves that have developed buck knees. They're all bull calves, easy unassisted births, 80 lbs birth +/- range. 2 A.I. calves out of Dirty Hair, 1 Natural out of a Hot Commodity bull. They were fine at birth then developed this condition at 3 to 4 days. They seem to travel fine, eating good. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated...
Stacy

I realize that you posted this ages ago. If by chance you are still monitoring this board, may I ask what happened to your calves with buck knees? I have one and am not sure what to do. Thanks

See the attached photograph. The calf stands with the knees slightly flexed forward. It can stand normally and can run and play. It seems otherwise normal. It is not contracted flexor tendons. There is no pain in the knees that I can detect, even when I fully flex the knees. No evidence of infection, anywhere. No fever. Any thoughts would be gratefully welcomed.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 07, 9 17 43 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 07, 9 17 43 AM.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
Are the joints swollen? Can't be sure from the pictures, but the left one looks like it might be swollen. I think about joint ill when I see swollen joints in young calves. Joint ill needs quick and aggressive treatment.

Sure looks like joint ill but it doesn't move like a calf with it from the video I saw in the other thread.
Could not view the video. Told be I needed to purchase a codec to watch that Apple video and I was too cheap.

Could not view the video. Told be I needed to purchase a codec to watch that Apple video and I was too cheap.
Strange. I don't have whatever that is. It's just a .mov but who knows, every time I turn around time saving technology complicates my life and consumes precious minutes.

Thanks. I've palpated and squeezed the knee joints three or four times now. No extra fluid in joint that I can palpate, no pain on squeezing it or on extreme flexion, no swelling that I can find. I had another calf in the pen and palpated his knees too, in order to compare them to this one's. They felt the same.

Latest posts