BSE and So. Korea

Help Support CattleToday:

Avalon

Reaction score
I noticed that there have been protests in South Korea latley. Seems that the folk over there are protesting the importation of American Beef because of BSE. Now this is not nesecarily at criticism of our Canadian neighbors. But when I hear of a case at all, It usually originated in Canada. Why are these cookes protesting OUR US BEEF? Politics maybe? Maybe it is time we quit loaning all these countries money and protection.

you know why they are protesting importing our meat imto their country.its because they have a deep disslike for us an always have.an they dont want any USA products in their country.

From what I understand, part of it is that the Koreans believe that we are sending them second rate stuff that we Americans won't eat. I was listening to a report about it last week on NPR. I don't remember the details, but you can go to NPR's website and look in Morning Edition. It might have been a couple of weeks ago, but it would be archived.

Here's the story I heard.

Jo Bo-hee
South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, shown at a meeting at the presidential house June 11 in Seoul, said his government intends to make a fresh start after his Cabinet offered to resign, bowing to protests against U.S. beef imports. AP/Yonhap

Morning Edition, June 11, 2008 · The center of South Korea's capital was lit up Tuesday night as thousands of demonstrators carrying candles protested the government's decision to allow American beef back into the country.

South Korea was the third-largest importer of U.S. beef before it was banned after a mad cow scare five years ago. Now, what began with high school students concerned over mad cow disease has swelled into a major challenge to the South Korean government.

BBC correspondent John Sudworth tells Renee Montagne that the whole downtown area of Seoul was "shoulder-to-shoulder with people" during the protest, with some estimates putting the crowd at 400,000. The police estimates were lower.

"These protests began as fairly small-scale nightly candlelit vigils, but have now become something of a mass movement," Sudworth says. "And it's fair to say they really have rocked the government. [Tuesday], amid these extraordinary scenes, we had the news that the whole Cabinet ... has offered to resign as a result of these protests."

The focus of the protests has become whether beef from cattle over the age of 30 months should be imported into South Korea, Sudworth says. The demonstrators want that beef excluded from the agreement.

"Wild rumors [are] circulating here. For example, that Americans don't eat beef from older cattle," he says. "And yet, all the evidence suggests, of course, that Americans do eat beef from cattle over the age of 30 months, have done for years. It's considered perfectly safe."

However, Sudworth says, "a lot of people have said that perhaps, to some degree, the protests have become a vehicle for wider political discontent about the government."

The government has only been in power for a few months, but has rapidly seen its popularity evaporate, Sudworth says.

The demonstration appears to be the largest in the capital since the 1980s, when protesters forced the government to change to a democracy.

"I think it's unlikely that this is a real threat to the position of the president himself," Sudworth says. "It's yet to be clear whether the president will accept any or all of those [Cabinet] resignations."

What also remains to be seen is how President Lee Myung-bak will handle the larger issue. The protesters want him to essentially tear up the agreement with the United States. "But the government and the U.S. government have both said, 'You can't do that; this is an international agreement signed under World Trade Organization rules. It's simply not possible just to rip it up,'" Sudworth says.

"He is in a bit of a corner, but I think it's too early to say it's a real threat to the government just yet," he adds.

It's not about BSE. It's about sticking it to the US. A lot of good men, including an uncle I never knew, died keeping those people out of communist hands. Were my Dad still alive, he would be livid.

When is America going to start looking out for America and Americans ? What service does South Korea offer the U.S.? Just my thoughts. Tom :cboy:

kerley":1z2ygv8h said:
When is America going to start looking out for America and Americans ? What service does South Korea offer the U.S.? Just my thoughts. Tom :cboy:
One thing that comes to my mind, it keeps Korean products from being Chinese products.

S Korea has more mass protests than any nation, except possibly France.
Look at the Korean Cattlemens Association, I think. They are just protecting a high price market.

South Korea likes our aid, likes the open market [selling junk to us] But the fact is, they really don't like Americans. We will only sell them beef under 30 months of age. If it were sent there free, they would absolutely love it.

I think there are more KIA's around here than Chevy's. Well, not quite. But they are very big sellers. Maybe we need to link the export of beef to the import of KIA's.

Koreans aren't dumb, they know what side of their bread the butter is on. They know there is NO danger of BSE from US beef, we have agreed to send them beef from 30 months of age and younger only. Still they protest. If the US abandoned them, their economy would last what? 2 days! :nod:

kerley":qot77d8e said:
Are KIA"S manufactured in South Korea?

Interesting findings. Apparently the only think Korean about Kia is that they are headquartered in Seoul, Korea. Apparently parts are made in Pakistan Vietnam, Philippines, Thiland, Malaysia,Indonesia, Russia, Iran, Egypt, Morocco, Equador and China. Assembly plants appear to be in Slovakia and China.

http://www.kiamotors.com/

The USDA should have allowed Creekstone and the other smaller Packers that wanted to BSE test and provide Korea, Japan, and any others that wanted tested beef the tested product they requested back years ago- instead of protecting the Big Multinational Corporate Packers (who weren't set up to test or compete) and ruling that they couldn't....This issue would be all done and behind us if that had occurred- and we'd have had beef of all ages going to the Asian countries for years now...

But instead of letting what Free Market system still exists prevail- and provide the customer with what the customer wants- Government forbid the testing...Creekstone won their challenge in court but now the USDA/Justice Dept., still stonewalling for the big packer lobbyists, are appealing the ruling..... :(

And now in order to try and slip thru the Korean Free Trade Act- USDA has caved in to Koreas demands- and will ship beef from only under 30 month old cattle... :(

Almost back to square one.....

TB... Yes there is. It is about five miles from my place. There has to be thousands of cars there waiting to be shipped across the US.

Latest posts