Brush

Help Support CattleToday:

b l h

Reaction score
I have inherited some brush piles on land that I am leaseing and they are piled up around dead trees. My dad did custom dozer work for years and years and I seem to remember that If you burn brush around a standing tree that it will explode, but I can't remember if it was dead or alive. Of course I don't know anyone would want to burn an alive. Dad is gone now and I was a little bitty kid when he said it hope someone knows

Thanks

I don't know of a tree that will explode in a fire. Sandstone or limestone rock will if it has moisture trapped in it.

Beefy":25td7frg said:
i think if the brush pile has any TNT in it it might explode...
You better call HatCreekFans' dad. He'd likely want to see that. :lol:

Speaking from experience here, neither live nor dead trees will explode when burned. The reason to pile brush, limbs, sticks, etc around a live tree would be that the tree is not a desired item on that land and burning it will kill it - usually.

the only trees ive ever seen explode are cypress trees when tehy get struck by lightning. fire will cause the sap to boil in some trees thus killing them. thicker barked trees are usually resistant to fire although enough brush on fire would probably kill those too.

I haven't seen a tree explode lately :oops: But I do remember what fun my grand dad had when my cousins and I visited during cold weather. I expect that not many of you know what it is like to toss a green limb of Bois D'arc into a roaring fire in the fireplace. About the same effect you get from tossing a handfull of large firecrackers in. Loud ? Yeah! Chunks of burning wood and sparks flying everywhere. That's probably why grandma had grey hair and only lived to be 97 yo. Now I can't imagine what would happen if a huge intensly hot fire was set under a green Bois D'arc but I'd drive a few miles to see it; out of curiosity ;-) Maybe you know this tree as Osage Orange, Hedge Apple or horse apple.

Jay

Latest posts