Broomweed

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
The drought brought a bumper crop of broomweed with it. Mowed it all down in September, but some stragglers remain. 2,4-D didn't touch it. I'm quite happy with the rest of the forage mix-clover/bermuda/native grasses and some other broadleaf varieties that the cattle will eat. Anything not requiring an applicator license that will knock it down for next year, or would repeat mowing be the best plan?

Get your pH and phosphorus and potassium levels right and your good grasses will crowd it out. 2,4-D will not work on it because it is a grass.

The drought brought a bumper crop of broomweed with it. Mowed it all down in September, but some stragglers remain. 2,4-D didn't touch it. I'm quite happy with the rest of the forage mix-clover/bermuda/native grasses and some other broadleaf varieties that the cattle will eat. Anything not requiring an applicator license that will knock it down for next year, or would repeat mowing be the best plan?
Probably sprayed to late. I didn't get a good results this year either even with a stronger than usual mix. Broomweed and ragweed need to be sprayed as young as possible to get an easy kill, otherwise you have to double or triple the application rate. Adding a pint of Remedy helps if you spray past May.

I have had good luck with one of the DiCamba 2 4 D mixes but they require a license. I have been using Brash. You can easily see where I missed with the sprayer in the spring as the broom weed really shows up as the growth is at its high and still green. I would think that mowing might make it worse. The plant is actually pretty easy to control if you spray at the right time which for us is March April. A person that has a license can buy resticted chemical for someone that doesn't as long as they will take resposibility that it is applied per label instructions. Maybe a neighor has a license?

Latest posts