Killing Broomweed?

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
How do you kill the stuff? Our pastures are full of it and I'm about ready to get rid of it if I can.

this won't help you get rid of it today. But a good stand of grass will choke it out fast. For now you could mow it. If you are as lucky as I've been you haven't gotten enough rain to grow any grass, much less a good stand.

Which of the million things called broomweed are you referring to?

I believe its real name is common broomweed. It has little yellow flowers and it looks like a little bush.

Dun, it is just a guess, but what we call broomweed around here looks a lot like bitterweed or bitter sneezeweed but has a smaller flower.
View attachment 2View attachment 1 In early spring just show it a jug of 2,4-d and it dies. :lol2:
Sewall, control with just about any broadleaf weed killer, early spring is best but as bluestem said, a good stand of grass in the spring will choke it out. This time of year, shredding it off short is about the best option. Work on pastures this fall to improve fertility, don't overgraze, and spray in the spring if you detect a lot of seedlings. You will probably need to spray the first year but as the pasture grasses improve the weeds become less and less.

1982Vett, that looks like it. It hasn't bloomed yet and we're waiting on parts for the shredder so I'll cut it as soon as I can and maybe it will help it. Thanks

Latest posts