Broomsedge?

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
A little background first, recently began starting to rehab our pasture/hay fields. They have been neglected and poorly managed for the last 20 years. Minimum fertilizer, absolutely zero lime. Cattle have had free reign to entire property with exception to the hay fields. I

Sage grass, broomsedge, or whatever it is called in your area, has grabbed hold of our pasture fields and started showing its ugly brown face throughout our hayfield here and there. Really, its quite more than just here and there. There are thick stands randomly through the front hay field. Probably 5-10% of front hay field is brown/gold.

Yesterday I bush hogged roughly 15 acres of the back pasture that was knee to waste high. It is on very steep ground. Steep enough to have me puckered up that's for sure!!!!!

My logic was this… Broomsedge is a summer grass i have been told. Which would tell me it doesn't grow until summer is here. By knocking it down level with the surrounding grass, will the desirable grasses be able to outcompete/smother the gold grass due to more sunlight equaling more photosynthesis?

In places where i would not dare attempt to ascend on a 1984 Long 2wd 460, I planned to unroll 3-5 bales of hay. Hoping the cattle will tromp the gold stems to the ground. Will this work?

I just feel these tall stands of gold grass is only blocking sunlight from getting to the good grass. Am I on the right track?

Had 2 ton/acre of lime put down today on hay fields. Since this will give no immediate results, I was thinking I should knock the tops down of broomsedge level with the grass in the hay fields. Shouldn't this help the surrounding grass. Possibly let grass come from underneath?

Or should I leave it be and cut/bale it?

PS. We are unable to afford fertilizer at this time. Hoping the lime helps the grass get what nutrients are in the soil. This valley is known for having very acidic soil I have been told. Which would cause nutrient lockout in certain areas. Right track of thinking?

Sorry for the book of a post. I am new at all this and have so many questions and thoughts and no one to talk to about it. LOL. Need to get to know a neighbor or two. The one's I have talk with in depth tend to follow the low input low output train of thought. Just enough to get buy. I am wanting high output. So need to know about what input/work is needed.

I could blah blah blah all night. Thanks in advance everyone... :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I have been researching for weeks now on this topic. Found lots of info. Usually PH issue along with a Phosphorus deficiency was the jist i got.

Searched the heck out of the forum. Apologize if this topic has been beat to death.

My neighbor and I have been fighting this battle for a few years now. We have our soil ph in a range of 6.7 to 7.2. The field with the 7.2 ph is a solid stand of broomsedge. In the fields where it was not fully established it appears we are gaining ground and the cows are surely eating the hay that we cut from them lot better even with the broomsedge in it. We are fertilizing in accordance with soil samples and cutting before the broomsedge blooms. I have been told that when broomsedge is fully established the only way to get rid of it is to plow it up, preferably for a couple of years and then replant hay field. I hope that isn't true. Another option is to use a wick applicator and roundup, but sounds like that may be difficult in your terrain. Good luck.

Only the back 20 acres are steep ground. Both hay fields lay somewhat decent.

So knocking it down and spraying is about all I can do. Lime/fert when wallet allows.

hwillso - I hope that isn't true as well. Plowing entire fields would be rough. Isn't it best to wait a year or two before you harvest hay from newly seeded ground?

Where I am located in southeast La., Bahia and Bermuda are our summer grasses. I am trying to establish about 15 acres that was predominantly broomsedge in Argentina. I did this by plowing it up in the fall and seeding with winter ryegrass and Argentina. Probably not the best scenario. I now have a little bahai, common Bermuda, and dalis grass. this spring it had an abundance of thistle so I called the coop and they sent the spray truck with Grazon. Then I read the thread on Grazon and found out that was probably a bad choice due to Grazon's inability to distinguish good seed from bad and germination will be halted on any good seed.

Personally don't think baling the first year hurts anything, If you have enough to cut for hay, the cutting raking tedding baling action will leave many seed behind and from my experience will help the grass by triggering growth.

Main thing-- do plenty of homework prior to herbicide applications.

The ag extension agent claims that summer grazing pressure will eventually rid the broomsedge. Early growth broomsedge is edible. This seems to line up with experience. I notice that its worse in marginal and steep hay fields, where the cutting is done mainly early and late in the year.

I liked dealing with broomsedge, its sure easier than thistle.

dave_shelby":1xx3clzr said:
The ag extension agent claims that summer grazing pressure will eventually rid the broomsedge. Early growth broomsedge is edible. This seems to line up with experience. I notice that its worse in marginal and steep hay fields, where the cutting is done mainly early and late in the year.

I liked dealing with broomsedge, its sure easier than thistle.

I have been on thistle duty for a week now. Hate those things. When I got here last year there were plenty about head high. Was a rough fall!!! I am sure they depleted the soil. But the damn ground is so steep no one will spread on it. Makes me wonder if I am going to have to walk/hand spread anything that goes on it. I Don't know if I could brave it on our tractor, and its 4x4. The grass just isn't deep enough. Needs serious help. Slides right out from under you.

Place looks like a different farm though compared to a year ago. So progress is being made. I am the type that likes to see instant results. My patience has been getting better.

CB - You use 24d or something? Herbicide spray or fertilizer spray? I assumed an herbicide wouldn't touch it. Since its a grass n all. But that's an assumption. We all know how those go.

If it were me, I'd worry about getting my soil right and worry about everything else later because the problem will probably fix itself.

ClinchValley":3ug4ce9t said:
CB - You use 24d or something? Herbicide spray or fertilizer spray? I assumed an herbicide wouldn't touch it. Since its a grass n all. But that's an assumption. We all know how those go.
Actually wicked it with round up.

My neighbor has a pasture full of it and it stops at the fence line, the difference is Phosphorus and mor uniform grazing in some combination.

Latest posts