Broomsedge

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Anyone ever dealt with broomsedge. I was just doing some cleanup on our new south farm acreage "addition", found a lot of it.

Pretty good stand of grass and clover wherever the broomsedge isn't as thick. Any advice, experiences, etc.????
Thanks
Justin

Bushhog it in May and graze the heck out of it. Cows will eat it when it's young and green. It's not their favorite but they'll eat it. It hates hoof pressure and lime.

I have about a 100 acres of it and it's always in the areas where the cows don't loaf. Away from the water tank and shade, on high hills with thin top soil. I've found that a gritty annual like pearl millet or iron clay cowpeas will compete well with it, even without the lime. In the fall, bushhog it again, toss out some lime, and broadcast some ryegrass. Use it as your dry lot come winter, park your cows there and unroll your favorite grass hay. I've turned around a lot of ground that way.

Do a soil test, most of the time it is a PH issue but not always. I had a couple fields this past fall that had a good bit of broomsedge in them. I was going to put lime on. Decided to do a soil test before I did and the PH was 6.5 to 6.9 in them. Glad I didn't put the lime down, they were lacking in P and K though. Broomsedge is symptom of poor soil fertility.

Thank you for the feedback!!

Pretty sure by the depth of top soil that this piece was in crops (corn/soy around here) for a long time. Possibly sucked empty of nutrients the cause of poor soil fertility?? Pretty sure previous owner sowed in pasture mix approx. 2-4 years ago ....

I'm dealing with it myself. I limed one ton to the acre in October on my place in Alabama. At what point could I expect to see results from the lime? How long does it take?

Soils are different but here they say you will really bot notice a difference if you just put 1 ton per acre. That usually means that it either needs more or that the lime was not the problem to begin with. Soil test is the only way to know for sure.
That being said it takes about 6 months for lime to break down and start showing the difference. That of course is different according to the courseness of the lime.