broomsage

Help Support CattleToday:

Assuming its in a field you don't want killed, liming and getting your fertility right helps a lot in Georgia. If its in something you wish to convert, lime and burn in the spring and spray lots of Roundup after its got some good fresh green growth on it.

Jogeephus":1n689ng2 said:
Assuming its in a field you don't want killed, liming and getting your fertility right helps a lot in Georgia. If its in something you wish to convert, lime and burn in the spring and spray lots of Roundup after its got some good fresh green growth on it.

You're exactly right!

Broomsedge is not very competitive.

If you see a place that is covered with broomsedge and cedar trees. You can bet that it's a poor, poor piece of ground.

Cedar Trees. Don't have many here but did on my grandads farm made good fence posts. Smaller ones seemed like they lasted longer. Am I mistaken or do Eastern Red Cedar put off some kind of chemical in the drip zone that impedes competition. Seems like I heard or read that somewhere. Off the subject I know, but just thought about it. Phytotrophic? Can't remember. Gettin old.

What was stated above is the best way. As with most crops, keeping your soil in good condition is the best way to drive out the weeds.
However if you want to speed things up in a Bermuda grass field you may be able to use Round Up at the right time.
Bermuda grass is fairly resistance to Round Up. And if Broom sage will come out in the spring a week or two before the Bermuda grass. So if you catch the broom sage growing and the Bermuda still dormant it is a good time to knock out a lot of broom sage. I would not use a full quart to the acre though.

In addition to the pH and fertility issues, fall mowing helps a bunch. It stores its nutrients in the stem to overwinter, and it really knocks it back if it gets mowed late.

Latest posts