Broken ribs

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
I had no idea how bad broken ribs hurt until a couple of weeks ago when I broke three of them with five fractures

I fell off and on to a ladder from about 8 ft. Landed on the ladder on my right side and knew I was in trouble as soon as I tried to get up. Pain was unbelievable. And to make matters worse, a person uses his ribs: every time he/(she) coughs, every time he breathes. takes a shower, shaves, eats, POOPS!, lays down or sets up.

I'm now at the point where there's only one rib with two fractures that hasn't tied itself back together, I think. At least it's the only one that pops and sticks out when I cough. I don't mean it sticks out through the skin. But it does come loose and makes a heII of a bulge under the skin.

Hydrocodone and Crown Royal cocktails every couple of hours works pretty good though. Haven't really tried the Vicoden and Crown Royal yet but broken ribs will sure make you quit smokin though.

It hurts don't it. I had my sternum fractured and I was wishing someone would put me out of my misery. Was already on morphine for some other stuff but the morphine didn't touch this pain. Finally someone gave me a shot of what they called tylenol on steroids and I was good to go.

i know some1 that cracked 2 ribbs.an they hurt like a son of a gun.so yes cracked ribbs hurt.i hope i never crack my ribbs.

lavacarancher":1frij3ku said:
I had no idea how bad broken ribs hurt until a couple of weeks ago when I broke three of them with five fractures

I fell off and on to a ladder from about 8 ft. Landed on the ladder on my right side and knew I was in trouble as soon as I tried to get up. Pain was unbelievable. And to make matters worse, a person uses his ribs: every time he/(she) coughs, every time he breathes. takes a shower, shaves, eats, POOPS!, lays down or sets up.

I'm now at the point where there's only one rib with two fractures that hasn't tied itself back together, I think. At least it's the only one that pops and sticks out when I cough. I don't mean it sticks out through the skin. But it does come loose and makes a heII of a bulge under the skin.

Hydrocodone and Crown Royal cocktails every couple of hours works pretty good though. Haven't really tried the Vicoden and Crown Royal yet but broken ribs will sure make you quit smokin though.

My friends son DIED from that particular combination of pain killers He was 24yrs old and NOT a junkie. BE CAREFUL

3waycross":1hh6h9pr said:
lavacarancher":1hh6h9pr said:

My friends son DIED from that particular combination of pain killers He was 24yrs old and NOT a junkie. BE CAREFUL

Have no intention of taking anything not prescribed, just joking. I suspect we all know of stories like that, I know I do. Shoot, I don't even like the feeling the Vicoden leaves me with. Can't imagine anyone fooling with that stuff that really didn't need it.

Folks, 3-way was just pointin' out that taking drugs like Vicoden with Alcohol can be very dangerous. He's right. I was just making a joke about it and did not intend for any of you younger folks to take it seriously.

I fell about like that once, but landed on my wrist before my ribs hit, broke my wrist. The most painful thing I've had yet was a pulled hamstring, morphine didn't make that go away either, it did make me care about it less. Last week jumped up into my 4 feet off the ground ford truck and twisted my knee, that hurt like a son of a gun for about 3 days.

I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing you can injure and not have it hurt every time you move. Anyway I hope you heal quickly.

Larry

Sorry that happened! The bad thing about breaking bones is even after they heal you usually end up with a bone-ometer to tell you when the weather is changing.

So sorry to hear that, and glad you are on the mend. I found none of the perscribed meds, touched any of the broken bones I have had during the years, I found the ribs a crippler as they don't strap them anymore and there is no support for them. The worst I found was trying to laugh (or not laugh) as the case maybe.
Ladders can be a hazardous tool, my Husband always straps them now after coming off of them a couple of times, once not from very high and broke three ribs, the second he came down off of them through the stairwell he was lucky he wasn't killed, from the the attic to the hallway and not a scratch, (that was down the ladder and a flight of stairs consisting of 14 treads.) He said he felt himself going so he just relaxed and rolled with it. I always say where there's no sense there's no feeling. Anyone using a ladder please take care.

A train goin' 60 mph hit the passenger door of my stopped pickup one time. Things that hurt, in order of hurt, are:
1. major plastic surgery on your face
2. surgery to rebreak an arm and wrist 1 year after the accident
3.broken ribs caused by someone with a rebroken arm trying to save $200 by trimming his own tree and falling off of the stepladder ladder he had setting in the skidsteer bucket
Greg

plumber_greg":1u6qq4ji said:
A train goin' 60 mph hit the passenger door of my stopped pickup one time. Things that hurt, in order of hurt, are:
3.broken ribs caused by someone with a rebroken arm trying to save $200 by trimming his own tree and falling off of the stepladder ladder he had setting in the skidsteer bucket
Greg

Greg.............

are you talking to us from Heaven?? :shock:

good Lord man!!!

I realize more and more how ungrateful I am. To be by myself in the middle of nowhere (at home) and not have had a major catastrophe, I have not been nearly thankful enough. Perspectives sure change as you get older, don't they.
God bless your recovery lavaca, and the rest of ya'll be careful out there!

LazyARanch":13szzm7o said:
plumber_greg":13szzm7o said:
Greg

Greg.............

are you talking to us from Heaven?? :shock:

good Lord man!!!
The whole train episode wasn't near as much fun as one would think, but it sure has made a good story. Proved doctors wrong again and again and again, and still provin' them wrong

Why is that Greg cuz they keep telling you that if you keep this crap up you are eventually gonna kill yourself.? :lol2:

Just remember eventually is a long time(or not). ;-)

3waycross":nte8hyk8 said:
Why is that Greg cuz they keep telling you that if you keep this crap up you are eventually gonna kill yourself.? :lol2:

Just remember eventually is a long time(or not). ;-)
That's a goodun'. I'm gonna use that. gs

plumber_greg":2fr3zkki said:
A train goin' 60 mph hit the passenger door of my stopped pickup one time.
Greg
I have heard of trains doing that. :shock:
They depart from their regular direction of travel, take a sharp turn, go into a parking lot some distance away and run into parked vehicles just sitting there minding their own business. :nod:

Right?
:hat:

Greg, I'm glad you made it out alive. God's got plans for you and I hope its more than answering this silly question I'm fixing to ask you but being you are the only person I know who is still breathing from a collision with a train I think you are the closest thing I'll ever find to an expert on this subject. So here it goes, why in the world do so many people take naps on railroad tracks? Gotta be the most uncomfortable place in world not to mention dangerous.

I never used to know how people got hit by a train. Who couldn't see a coal train comin'? I actually was on dirt road, went around a curve, up over what I thought was a dike, and saw the train out of the corner of my eye just before the collision. No seat belt, went through the windshield, and into a ditch full of water they said sixty feet away. When the men from the train found me, just my head and chest were out of the water. I was mostly conscise (sp), and trying to make them laugh. Ask them if they hurt my truck any. It was actually cut in three pieces, with the motor blew through the fender. Month in the hospital, working on crutches three months later, operations still going on one year later. They didn't fix a lot of stuff at first, cuz' they thought I was gonna die. People still talk about the plumber with crutches dragging an IV bag plumbing their house. gs

plumber_greg":350ftaxx said:
I never used to know how people got hit by a train. Who couldn't see a coal train comin'? I actually was on dirt road, went around a curve, up over what I thought was a dike, and saw the train out of the corner of my eye just before the collision. No seat belt, went through the windshield, and into a ditch full of water they said sixty feet away. When the men from the train found me, just my head and chest were out of the water. I was mostly conscise (sp), and trying to make them laugh. Ask them if they hurt my truck any. It was actually cut in three pieces, with the motor blew through the fender. Month in the hospital, working on crutches three months later, operations still going on one year later. They didn't fix a lot of stuff at first, cuz' they thought I was gonna die. People still talk about the plumber with crutches dragging an IV bag plumbing their house. gs
well thankfully you are here to tell this story
now I know 2 people that have survived train/automobile crashes the other one came thru with just 2 broken legs

Angus Cowman":15dyvfzr said:
plumber_greg":15dyvfzr said:
well thankfully you are here to tell this story
now I know 2 people that have survived train/automobile crashes the other one came thru with just 2 broken legs
Now I'm tellin' Greg stories on the internet. I'm 54 years old, been broke once, survived, buried in a trench 10' deep and 2' wide, survived, hit by a train, survived, hit by lightning ( the color blue I saw was pretty cool), survived, delivered my last child at home, all three of us (wife, daughter, and me) survived. I always think, "This is the last story that can be told." gs

I had one broken and 3 cracked ribs in '04 when a 2000 lb Holstien cow backed into me as I gave her a shot of fertaline in just a set of round panels. To say I was extremely stupid and extremely lucky, is understatement. I use the chute that was bought for this exact reason from then on.

The bad thing with broken ribs is that when they start to heal they hurt like h@ll, even more than when they were first broken and they get super itchy too, and there is no way you can scratch that itch . I had this bad habit of stretching my back to reopen the ribs because it felt better that way. Don't do that unless you want them to take forever to heal and heal crooked as well . ;-) BTW I did not take even an aspirin, even though I was subscribed prescription pain killers. I think sometimes the pain helps us remember how careless and stupid we were.. :nod:

Feel better soon lavarancher. :tiphat:

Greg, you must have a whole team of Guardian Angels.. Good grief, what you have been through..

Latest posts