broken penis(s)

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I sell about 10-15 bulls a year. Never had a customer end up with a broken penis. This year, three of them. All different genetics - all the exact same kind of break - a splitting at the end. Customers don't check on their animals much so then they get infected and bulls continue to use the broken utensil so they are pretty much shot when found - though still very healthy. Just find it very odd that I never see one then get three in one year.

Statistically you're about due....

That said - doesn't sound like the right diagnosis. A broken penis looks like an extreme amount of swelling in the sheath halfway between navel and testicles, they may want to breed but cannot extend. A traumatized end sounds like it's been stepped on.

milkmaid":34mner5d said:
Statistically you're about due....

That said - doesn't sound like the right diagnosis. A broken penis looks like an extreme amount of swelling in the sheath halfway between navel and testicles, they may want to breed but cannot extend. A traumatized end sounds like it's been stepped on.

Agreed. Broken penis is wrong definition for what these are. By the time my customers find them there is an infected ball of flesh where the end of their penis used to be. Depending on time of year, the maggots may also be involved and infection has certainly set in. Three different farms, three different bulls....

Happened to me personally once - but I caught it the day it happened. saw blood in the snow and tracked to my cover bull. pulled him that day and it was winter so he recovered without issue. Feel terrible for these folks who may be out a breeding season....

If any of your customers are running multiple bulls in one paddock, you're more likely to end up with this issue. Otherwise, it is just your luck this year, or lack thereof.

there are a few reasons why that happens.1 the cow runs out from under the bull.bang a messed up penis.2 bull gets knocked off the cow a messed up penis.3 he stepps on it messed up penis.my bulled got messed up like that this year.1st time in 43yrs.

Latest posts