A.I. v/s Live cover

Help Support CattleToday:

RHScattle

Reaction score
Our farm currently runs 125 head of black Angus cattle. We had five bulls, one died , and are looking to buy at least 20 bred cows/heifers. We will be in the market for bull power, but would like to get info on A.I. v/s live cover. The cost per head to breed A.I v/s price of a bull. We're keeping our bulls and plan on buying more, but to improve our herd genetically A.I sounds like a good way to go if its not too pricey. Any info appreciated!

With A.I. it should cost around $50 per head if hiring it done,($25for synch and breeding, $25 for semen) probably $40 if doing it yourself. So for simple #s use 100 head cost is $5000 you hit just 50% then you cut your bull needs to 2 bulls if you patch and rebreed the ones not settled cost will go down to maybe $25 per head for 50 head $1250 if you hit just 50% of those you can cut down to 1 bull so youve invested $6250 but you can sell 3 of your bulls and at todays prices will maybe bring $4500 depending on the bulls but if you have to buy another quality bull probably looking at $3500 min so i think at these consevative figures your $s ahead with A.I not to mention having a bunch of uniform calves which may pay for the cost of the A.I.

Latest posts