Got a live one!

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
Hallelujah! My next calf after my stillborn seems to be healthy! Woke up to some mooing at 4am and was thrilled to see a bull calf up and running around! Haven't seen him nurse yet but keeping a close eye. Much reassurance seeing this after my last possible deformed stillborn calf.

Good for you. Always makes you feel better after having the previous one with a problem. You should name him Roger. Or Syd.

Congratulations, calf looks good, but don't take the momma for granted, good way to get hurt or crippled, when you least expect it.

snoopdog said:
Congratulations, calf looks good, but don't take the momma for granted, good way to get hurt or crippled, when you least expect it.

This cow is my old bottle calf. Cow is like a dog, basically raised her in the house.

It's fly season here. We will have to give this guy a few days to settle before we manage the flies on him:

Calf is also up and nursing well. This cow is a Holstein x Angus, her first calf. The udder on this girl is unreal. Took the calf about 6 hours to nurse and she had piles of milk under her, just dripping. 3 more calves to go for us on our little farm.

HAD A NEIGHBOR WHO HAD SIX PET COWS....
She handled every one of them from birth on.....she could walk up and pet every cow she had....they were all her babies...
I told her several times that she needed to be more careful with new mothers....
She told me her girls would never hurt her.....
Until one day one of them rolled her across the field for trying to pet her new baby.

Fortunately she was not badly injured....but she learned a valuable lesson...

pdfangus said:
HAD A NEIGHBOR WHO HAD SIX PET COWS....
She handled every one of them from birth on.....she could walk up and pet every cow she had....they were all her babies...
I told her several times that she needed to be more careful with new mothers....
She told me her girls would never hurt her.....
Until one day one of them rolled her across the field for trying to pet her new baby.

Fortunately she was not badly injured....but she learned a valuable lesson...

Well ill be clear I don't think my cows will never hurt me. I honestly think the friendly ones are more dangerous. I have one that would sit on my lap if I let him and he does not understand that he cannot rush me. This photo was taken after me spending about 3 hours with her in the field. It maybe took 2 seconds to snap the image and my husband had his hand on her butt.

Got another one today :). I have no idea what breed this cow is but she is a very good mother so I've kept her for years. This is her first heifer calf! I named her Ginger. This is the cow I spoke about on another thread that has a 10'month old calf as well. She gave birth 10 months to the day after he last calf was born.

Yahoo got another one this morning! This one actually came breach and is all good. But mama has a big edema I think its called. Looked like a hernia. Should I have her checked out or is she ok? She's up and happy. Calf is also up and happy. I will get a better picture later this afternoon.

Latest posts