brockle faced

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbruh

Reaction score
What does it mean to be a brockle faced calf? I assume this is some sort of mixed breeding. Anyone have time to educate me?

black or red splotches on awhite face, not to be confused with goggle eyed

Thanks dun. Does this usually occur when crossing something with a hereford or simmental; or can this occur in any breed?

bigbruh":9zhf57oq said:
Thanks dun. Does this usually occur when crossing something with a hereford or simmental; or can this occur in any breed?
I've never seen them Simmenthal crosses. It's real common in the cross of F1 Herefordxsolid color bred to another solid color. LIke angus Hereford cross bred to angus or Gelbvieh

dun":pat1w875 said:

So is being " goggle or is it google :) eye a determination of soundness? I saw a show on RFD once that showed some cows with a ring around their snout. They said it was a sure way of knowing the said cross. Never could find that show again online....

Kingfisher":3oox8p3h said:
dun":3oox8p3h said:

So is being " goggle or is it google :) eye a determination of soundness? I saw a show on RFD once that showed some cows with a ring around their snout. They said it was a sure way of knowing the said cross. Never could find that show again online....
They look like they're wearing "goggles"
Unless they eyes are huge I wouldn;t think it would be "google" as in Barney Google with the goog-goog-googley eyes.

As Dun said a Hereford X with a solid color animal will produce brockled faced animals. Here in the south we see this with Hereford X Santa Gertrudis or Hereford X Brangus

My personal experience has shown that Simmental cross will have more of a streak face.

chippie":2xh67srw said:
cattle with dark pigment around their eyes is a good thing. they are less prone to cancer eye.

I agree. Would/should you cull a heifer based soley on white around the eyes?

There is a difference between a white faced ( haired) animal having pink skin around the eyes ( hereford) and a white faced animal having black skin under the hair and around the eyes( piedmontese). The pink skinned animal is much more suseptible to problems than black skin although both have white hair.
Nite Hawk

BC":lr7xv4bi said:
My personal experience has shown that Simmental cross will have more of a streak face.

Yes, they look like a horse with great big blaze down the front.

if I had the ability to post pics, I'd post a pic of a coupld of brockles I have.

Katherine

Black and Good":1m2za92y said:
I've also heard them called "Mottley faced" or Mott for short. I think thats the same thing as Brockle faced.
Both the same

Latest posts