What is the best way to get a white faced, black calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I am new to the cattle business, and am looking to produce nice looking black calves. The folks in this area have given me every imaginable combination for producing black, white faced calves, which seem to sell best in my area. Which combination of breeds do you all think is best. Calving ease is of paramount importance to me. I have mostly black cows at present and am looking to purchase a bull in the spring. Thanks for your advice.

Pharmer":fabp7j31 said:
I am new to the cattle business, and am looking to produce nice looking black calves. The folks in this area have given me every imaginable combination for producing black, white faced calves, which seem to sell best in my area. Which combination of breeds do you all think is best. Calving ease is of paramount importance to me. I have mostly black cows at present and am looking to purchase a bull in the spring. Thanks for your advice.

Hereford bull, either Polled or the other one.

dun

I know of a good herford ranch in your area. You drive by it every day going to work. You can have your pick of 2-3 year old bulls for about $1300. Holler at me! I would love to go with you there. I know the man and he raises good bulls....he also spends about $10,000 a head on his herd bulls.

I have 15 hereford females and put them with an angus bull. Every single calf is black with white face or at least brockle face. Some have white on the brisket and legs too. I'm sure the same will come from angus cows and hereford bull.

If your cows are not homogynous (sp) black then you could come out with some red or other then black colored calves.

Pharmer":3q8wqcpj said:
Kind of a 3 teired question.
To produce the best black calved use a good Angus bull on good Angus cows.
If you want to produce good black white faced calves and you say you already have the black cows, use a good Pollled Hereford bull on them.
If you want to produce good straight black calves with more heat tolerence use a Brangus bulll on the Angus cows. If the cows are just black and not straight Angus use an Angus bull on them.
You have to look at your cows and decide on which of these options that you think would work best for you and for your market.

a white faced cow does not always produce a white faced calf... I love the white faces:) our white faced cow has consitiently giving us solid black bull calves... she i believe is a simmi cross..but who knows these days..she does have a angus sire and we only ai, im assuming they are selecting black genes....

i believe a pure hereford would take care of it..donna

The white Hereford markings are put on a calf by a dominant gene. So if you want white faces on a black calf, you need Hereford X Black Angus or Black Brangus. If a cow never gives you a white faced calf with this cross, there is something odd going on with the genes.

Latest posts