bringing water across a creek

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Got water at the county road. 300 feet in, there is a flat limestone-bottomed creek about 30 ft wide. Flows about 2-4 inches deep except when it storms. Then full pecan trees rush down a 6-8 ft deep demon creek. An hr later it's back to 2-4 inches. Main pasture is another 1000 ft past the creek. No reliable water in the pasture right now. I'm deciding on digging a 200 ft well in the pasture vs crossing the creek with county water. I've seen the thick iron pipes suspended across the creek, but anyone ever jackhammer/trench/grout the pipe across the rock bottom of a creek? This is southern oklahoma so didn't know how those suspended pipes don't freeze solid during winter? Open to any thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

There's directional drills that can bore you a hole thru/ under the creek - But I have no idea what it would cost for the job, could end up competing with a well.. Would have to make some phone calls to find out.

As for jack hammering it in... Possible, but I just wouldn't want to get caught doing it.. But I wouldnt want to get caught doing a bunch of things that I do. ha

I'd drill a well. I had place in Mayes co OK and seen what floods can do.
Water table should be shallow and not too expensive

Supa Dexta":2x5eho9w said:
There's directional drills that can bore you a hole thru/ under the creek - But I have no idea what it would cost for the job, could end up competing with a well.. Would have to make some phone calls to find out.

As for jack hammering it in... Possible, but I just wouldn't want to get caught doing it.. But I wouldnt want to get caught doing a bunch of things that I do. ha

Around $10K. You will need metal casing to run under the creek then they can pull a poly line or what ever thru.

I bet you can go over it cheaper.

Digging thru the creek is not a good idea.

And if you do, just splice it there, with looser clamps.. Then it will break away during a flood. Just monitor it to make sure you're not pumping water for days down a creek.

Well with solar pump. EQIP program with NRCS could pay a decent chunk if you don't mind the hassle.

How about just laying a pipe in the creekbed (lets say something like 2" poly) and running your water line through that.. anchor the outer pipe good, perhaps lay a few big rocks around it and it'll fill up with sand and silt

If you have a good subsoiler, take it down to 1 shank and trench with that.. gonna need about a 100 hp tractor to pull it though if there's much rock to deal with..

Latest posts