Bridge fell in

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
As I was leaving the farm I lease the bridge gave way as I was crossing it luckily I made it across. But now I have no way to get hay over to them and the 2 homes there have no way to get out. Hopefully the landowner can get it fixed in the next couple days. I guess I'll start feed g grain to supplement them when this bale of hay is gone. There's still some pasture just not much or very good. Always something

I stacked my hay in the driveway of an old tobacco barn. About 6 weeks ago one corner of the barn came down. I moved all my hay rolls outside. I was concerned that the entire barn would fall in on the hay.

A guy down the road has a private drive over a creek. He has failed in a couple of attempts to build a crossing. It is expensive building something that will hold up.

I'm trying to convince the landowner to put a crossing down the Creek instead of a bridge or a tile, itd be a lot cheaper. Maybe put 2 or 3 12'' tiles in the bottom of the Creek and then pour concrete over them, cut the banks back on both sides so you gradually go down in the Creek and then up the other side. We could get by with gravel till summer then get concrete

Ky cowboy":jgcifn7r said:
I'm trying to convince the landowner to put a crossing down the Creek instead of a bridge or a tile, itd be a lot cheaper. Maybe put 2 or 3 12'' tiles in the bottom of the Creek and then pour concrete over them, cut the banks back on both sides so you gradually go down in the Creek and then up the other side. We could get by with gravel till summer then get concrete

Gravel will not hold against one good storm over here in the hills.

A low water concrete crossing is a good plan.

Margonme":3crkq9ss said:
Ky cowboy":3crkq9ss said:

Gravel will not hold against one good storm over here in the hills.

A low water concrete crossing is a good plan.

The gravel would be just to get by till we could get concrete

The landowner has made three attempts to construct a bridge. His last attempt was with some massive I-Beams. Creek washed them away. This is about a mile from me.

Note: Look at the set of dual trailer wheels on the left. That is a large trailer. Upside down. I don't know the story.

On the right are some remains of his bridging attempts.

Does anyone have any experience of precast concrete. I've been looking at box tiles and the oval ones. Hard to find prices I'm waiting on a email back on a prices from one manufacturer.

Ky cowboy":3s3o7f7n said:

Been thru this myself. had a single 34" tile under my main roadway and it wasn't enough. I now have 3 34' diameter concrete tiles side by side.
Small tiles, regardless of the number you use is probably going to be futile too. They plug up with debris too easily, form a dam and the water goes over the top washing away any rock or fill you put on it. Your tile has to be able to flow the same quantity of water the creek itself does when it's a torrent. Even if the flow doesn't top the fill on top of the culverts, it will find a way around and wash the road right before or right after the creekbed.
Get someone to calculate the max flow of water you might ever have (plus a margin) (called 'project flood' ), and install enough big culverts to match that.

Ky cowboy":37jdx6up said:
Turkeybird":37jdx6up said:
Contact the local nrcs office they have programs available for crossings

Even for driveways?
Yes they should have cost share for any water crossing,if funds are available

Margo, In that creek I think it's best to leave it alone unless you're really crossing it often.
Here we have precast concrete blocks.. about 3x3x6'.. the footing of the bridge is everything.. a few of those, some coarse fill behind it, then put that trailer frame on top.. with 3' (or more) clearance from the creek as it is to the bottom of the bridge, that'll take a pretty good storm..

There may be some temporary bridge solutions.. bailey bridges, etc

i've had so many wash out.

ughh..

i poured a footer on each side of a culvert and build a concrete block wall so the water wouldn't get underneath and rip it out.

worked good.

We have a creek crossing we have to cross to get to our little hideaway on the river. Several others use it as well. The first concrete pad was ripped up and washed 200 yards down the creek.
We all got together to redo it. I drilled 1.5 diameter holes into the bedrock and drove pieces of tpost in about 18 " deep. And cut them off below finished grade on the concrete. I did this on 12 " on the upstream side and about 24" on the downstream side. I filled the gaps with quickrock and tied the rebar the the tpost anchors . it's been 10 years and several major floods. I,ll be out there in the next week or so and maybe Rember to take a pick.
Do it right the first time...

My problem is I'm not actually footing the bill, the guy I lease from lives on this drive so he's got to fix it. I've just been trying to get ideas, he says he wants it done right no matter what the cost. I just don't want it to be July before it's done.

Latest posts