Brewers Grain

Help Support CattleToday:

when you say bagged it are you talking about silage bags? I don't have any experience with this feed at all.

I see you have working cattle dogs, we have a couple of border collies they sure take alot of our work out of working cattle! We love our Rock!

Rock1.jpg

http://www.gizmoangus.com
http://www.gizmoangus.blogspot.com

gizmom":3kng6m3i said:
Has anyone on this board had any experience feeding wet brewers grain? If so how have you transported it?

Thanks

Gizmom

Most often used by dairies down this way. Delivered in dump trailers and stored in a 3 sided pit with the floor sloped toward the bag. Catte love it but like silage you have to feed a lot of it as it's very high in moisture.

We have a local Brew pub that generates 3 or 4- 50 gal drums of it a week. The new calvers get it a lot as it seems to really make them start milking and the rest gets spread around as treats mostly. I wish we had access to more of it. This is actual barley malt, not corn. The cows love it, funny thing is they don't like the malt from the dark beer as much as from the pilsner or wheat beers.

3waycross":3del17ac said:
We have a local Brew pub that generates 3 or 4- 50 gal drums of it a week. The new calvers get it a lot as it seems to really make them start milking and the rest gets spread around as treats mostly. I wish we had access to more of it. This is actual barley malt, not corn. The cows love it, funny thing is they don't like the malt from the dark beer as much as from the pilsner or wheat beers.

How long does it keep in a drum?

Stocker Steve":37d7xdvs said:
3waycross":37d7xdvs said:

How long does it keep in a drum?

NOt long. We dson't try to keep it we just feed it in a couple of days.

3waycross":2e2pyicz said:
lol, we all have our "preferred beer". Glad you can get some as it is good stuff....and even though its grain based it's considered "roughage". Maybe you should move a little closer to the supply at "Golden". ;-)

TexasBred":1xwruy2i said:
3waycross":1xwruy2i said:
lol, we all have our "preferred beer". Glad you can get some as it is good stuff....and even though its grain based it's considered "roughage". Maybe you should move a little closer to the supply at "Golden". ;-)

I'd rather drink pi$$ than Coors. I am a Bud and Molsen drinker.

If it wasn't for the dogs I'd get rid of the cattle :)

the outfit down here has a bagger on the back of the trailer- so they unload it and bag it at the same time.
Its good stuff- I'd use more of it if I were closer. Hauling that much water this far pushes the cost too high for me.

I went in with another small dairyman and bought a semi load one winter when hay was hard to get. They just dumped it in a pile and we fed out of it all winter in MI. It kept reasonable well not being covered. The cattle ate it ok. If the load you got, like ours, came right from the brewery, it had a lot of water where they washed it.

kickinbull":18gceubk said:
I went in with another small dairyman and bought a semi load one winter when hay was hard to get. They just dumped it in a pile and we fed out of it all winter in MI. It kept reasonable well not being covered. The cattle ate it ok. If the load you got, like ours, came right from the brewery, it had a lot of water where they washed it.
I'd be leery of doing that. Even when it's cold as heck out, you will still have molds developing on it. I use modified distillers grain (I'm assuming they are quite similar) and even a small pile will hold heat and develop mold after 10-14 days if not fed up.

Latest posts