Breeds Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
it's been quite a while since anybody's asked for everyone's favorite and least favorite breeds and considering the mass amount of new comers I thought I'd through it out there.

What are you 3 favorite and then your 3 least favorite breeds. No preachin' or bashin' just state it and be done with it.

1. Angus
2. Red Angus
3. Hereford

Dislike
1. Limmis
2. Chianina
3. Bramers

OK, I can put my 2 cents in this one. :)

Like (for my area)
1. Brangus
2. Braford
3. Charbray

Dislike (in general)
1. Belgian Blue
2. Chiania
3. Highland

Favorite

Angus
Red Angus
Hereford

Least Favorite

Chianina
Belgium Blue
Peidmontese

Favorite: (only because these are the only 3 breeds we've ever owned)

Hereford
Simmental
Black Angus

Least favorite: (only because, from what I've seen and heard, these breeds would not work very well on our farm)

Longhorn
Chianina
Maine Anjou

Favorite: (shame a guy can't have 4 favorites - I'd add Brangus... I've come to like the one I have)

Maine Anjou
Angus
Murray Grey

Least Favorite:

Limmi's
Limmi's (it's a repeat I just really don't like 'em)
Charolais

madbeancutter, just take the Maines off and put the brangus on in their place. Then you would have the 3 best choices for what you want.
Looks like you really don't like the Limmis hu. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Favorites:
Murray Grey
Red Angus
British White

Least Favorite:
Black ___________ (input any breed name you'd like)
Brahman
Piedmontese

mgman":2thoqxrk said:
Favorites:
Murray Grey
Red Angus
British White

Least Favorite:
Black ___________ (input any breed name you'd like)
Brahman
Piedmontese

Not trying to set on Jake's rules here but...

Is this what you ment?

Least Favorite:
Black Murray Grey (input any breed name you'd like)

LA,
Nope... I really don't.

As for Maines... The boss' herd is 85% Maine or Maine Angus X and they have always been solid performers and easy to work with. Plus, I have a couple that I received from him in payment for helping him with his cows.

IYO why would you take them off the list?

madbeancounter1":1b78a8xn said:
Nope... I really don't.

As for Maines... The boss' herd is 85% Maine or Maine Angus X and they have always been solid performers and easy to work with. Plus, I have a couple that I received from him in payment for helping him with his cows.

IYO why would you take them off the list?
I prefer the Brangus and Angus Plus for this climate.

OK... Now I am in receiving mode... never heard the term Angus Plus before. What exactly does that mean?

Sorry for asking what ought to obvious.

madbeancounter1":2pf6ltry said:
OK... Now I am in receiving mode... never heard the term Angus Plus before. What exactly does that mean?

the calf out of putting an angus bull on brangus cows or vice versa. makes a great critter.

I believe it's an Angus x Brangus. Takes out a little bit more of the Brahman but still gives you the hybrid vigor of a crossbred. I think I've also heard them called Super Angus.

Rustler9":nnyp03ql said:
I believe it's an Angus x Brangus. Takes out a little bit more of the Brahman but still gives you the hybrid vigor of a crossbred. I think I've also heard them called Super Angus.
Never heard of Super Angus. Have heard of Super Baldies. Red Angus Assn recognizes the Angus Plus.

(Can we say, sucker for dairy lol? ;-) )

Favorites:
Norwegian Red-and-White
Holstein
Kerry

Dislikes:
Pure Angus
Asturian Mountain
Braford

When I was in college ...way back when... oh never mind... I worked off and on in a custom rod shop that one of my friends dad owned.

There was a sign on the wall... "If you've learned something new today take the rest of the day off." Underneath someone pencilled in, "this does not apply to the inexperienced".

Keep 'em coming, please.

madbeancounter1":1y75wohb said:

Here's the Red ANgus site. They have a lot of info on Angus Plus

http://www.redangus1.org/

dun

Let me begin this by saying I like good functional cattle (and I can find them in any major breed) and I don't like hard doing, structurally incorrect, open, or just plain sucky cattle (and I can find them in any major breed too).
favorites
1)Hereford
2)Angus
3)Red Angus

Least Favorites
1)Belgian Blue
2)Chianina
3)Texas Longhorn

We ought to take this all the way and rank the top 30 breeds.

Red Angus/Hereford
Simmenthal/Gelbvieh
Red Brahma/Santa Gertrudis

Charolais
Limousin
Long Horns

Latest posts