Breeding Season

Help Support CattleToday:

TerraceRidge

Reaction score
I only have two cows right now, but I want to get them bred as soon as possible. I have a friend who is going to let me borrow his bull for a while to accomplish the task. I observed one cow in heat on May 3 and the other one on May 6. If I bring the bull in today, can I just leave him in through this coming heat cycle and then pull him out? I know the standard breeding season is 60-75 days, but is there any reason why both cows wouldn't settle in one cycle? Thanks!

It depends on several factors. The body condition scores on the females as well as the bull. How fertile they are? If they come in heat at the same time, the temperature outside, if the bull is tall enough to reach the cow etc.... If it's a good conditioned bull (not poor or really fat) with a good BSE and the cows are in proper condition they'll probably stick at the first cycle with the bull.

I would say it would be better to leave him in there through two cycles, then remove him.

neighbor got some cows one year & wanted to borrow a bull, so I said sure i'll bring one right up. three weeks later he comes down & says I can take the bull out, they should be bred. I brought bull home, then he comes back next week & says he has one in heat maybe he should have left bull in longer. it was his choice so I didn't say anything at first but then I told him it takes me 3-4 months to get mine bred & some are still not bred

Latest posts