Breeding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
We have five cows. We bought them last October 17,2007. They were kept in a leased pasture and were with a bull when bought. Four of the cows have calved to date. Jan 20, Mar 6, Mar 14, and May 3. The fifth cow is plenty big but has not started to bag up. If the fifth cow was bread the day we bought her [Oct 17 ] then she should calve by July 27 or she is still open ? I would like all cows to calve about the same time. My question is, If I wait till after the last cow calves, even if it is July 27. Would putting the bull with the cows at that time possibly cause harm to the new mother cow, by allowing her the possibility of being bread to soon after calving. It might sound like a stupid question but I am in charge of these cows and they will be cared for properly. Thank you, Tom :cboy:

She'll be fine. Plenty of folks run bulls with the cows year-round. Chances are she won't even cycle until 30-45 days after calving... and if she does, you may get her bred back earlier and moved up with the rest of the bunch.

If the cows were preg checked, then yes your cow should calve no later than July 27. If they were not preg checked, she could possibly be open. If she wasn't preg checked, I would have that done. If she is open, you can either sell her or keep her and try to breed her back. In any event, I would put the bull in with the cows so they calve whenever you want to start. If the cow in question is open, she should be cycling and breed back normal. If she is bred, she should cycle 4-6 weeks post calving and would get bred then, providing she settles.

she will be fine if you put the bull with the cows after she calves.we leave the bull with our cows year round.an calve the cows year round.

Had one cow cycle 22 days and one 10 days after calving, both settled to the bull. Part of the reason we are going back to 100% AI.

dun":1rzxtzub said:
Had one cow cycle 22 days and one 10 days after calving, both settled to the bull. Part of the reason we are going back to 100% AI.

Did this hurt the cows in some way, or did this just extend your calving window?

Stocker Steve":gpzk9a49 said:
dun":gpzk9a49 said:

Did this hurt the cows in some way, or did this just extend your calving window?

Didn't hurt a thing. The 22 day cow was on the cull list for calving late. She moved herself up and I hope she does again this year. Then she will be right back in sync with the rest of the cows, if she doesn;t she'll grow wheels.

Latest posts