Breeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

chuck_50":3c6yjrc1 said:
Question is, will a bull breed with a cow that has a calf by her side. I need to know this to know when I should wean the calves.

The bull don't care how many are at side. :lol:

The cow either when she gets the "Urge to Merge". :lol:

chuck_50":2phcvh05 said:
Question is, will a bull breed with a cow that has a calf by her side. I need to know this to know when I should wean the calves.
yep a bull's labido knows no bounds. how old is the calf now?

a bull will breed any cow that is in heat.that is his job.if your afraid he will breed the heifer calves.then wean them at 6 to 7 months.an keep them away the bull.

:lol: Funny, guys, but I'm not certain that's the answer they were looking for. :p

Cows will start cycling around 30-45 days after calving, sometimes the first heat is sooner, sometimes later. A cow will come into heat and breed back while she's lactating/raising a calf. Cow should be bred back by ~85 days after calving in order to maintain a 12 month calving interval. Most ranchers wean their calves around ~205 days.

thank you for your answers, the calves are 4-5 months old. I just didn't know if they would interfere with the breeding (either the cow not coming into season or the bull not breeding), but you have answered that ..thanks again

chuck_50":zgif0qon said:
thank you for your answers, the calves are 4-5 months old. I just didn't know if they would interfere with the breeding (either the cow not coming into season or the bull not breeding), but you have answered that ..thanks again

Heifer calves could even be bred by now. Been there, done that.

chuck_50":f351bix7 said:
Question is, will a bull breed with a cow that has a calf by her side.

Absolutely! Cows generally come back into heat 21-45 days post-partum, and the bull couldn't care less.

I need to know this to know when I should wean the calves.

Breeding cows back usually has nothing to do with weaning calves because, if your health/nutrition/management program is up to snuff, the cows are generally bred back long before weaning time comes around.

In short, a bull will breed anything that will stand for him plus a few he has to chase down regardless of age or relationship to him.

Latest posts