Breeding Heifers at a Lighter Weight

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
This article I found to be quite interesting, and something that may initiate opinion by some on here (posted on the other thread about the heifer that calved at a lighter wt/younger age):

You Can Breed Heifers at a Lighter Weight

The article is basically how some research has shown that breeding heifers at a lighter weight can save the feed bill, by restricting the quality (supplement) portion of the feed fed to replacements. I didn't see anything about age restriction in the article, which is a little different from the post by Djinwa, but the weight restriction part of the article is what caught my attention, and thought I would share it here to get some opinions.

Apparently you also save feed by supporting less body mass. Those on more restricted diets grow more slowly, and take longer to achieve maximum frame and weight.

Unless I missed it, I did not see the issue of difference in calving ability. I did read no increased rebreeding time, which is indirectly related. So perhaps no more calving problems in restricted heifers.

I feed the heifers less than they do, they are bred at 12 to 14 months of age and weigh 750 to 800 pounds. They are usually 5 to 5.5 frame size at a year.

mine this year were probably 600 lbs when I put the bull in and I had 1 that was about two weeks late, no opens. 60 days.

Latest posts