breeding for polled

Help Support CattleToday:

Fleckvieh DPB

Reaction score
we have 15 horned herford cows.
this years calves were from a shorthorn bull.
one of the heifers has no horns.

will her ofspring have no horns?
if i breed her to a horned bull she will probebly throw a horned calf rite?
breed her to a polled fleckvieh bull and calf should be polled.

also what do these terms mean?

heterosegeous polled
homosegeous polled
scurs

we have been into the beef for only 2 and a half years so far so i have a bit to learn yet.

we have a dairy farm with mostly holsteins and some brown swiss and ayshire cows.

we are crossing all of them to dual purpose fleckvieh from germany.

we are inpressed with the calves so far. oldest are 11 months now.

http://www.fleckvieh.de
click on the british flag on the top left corner to get the site in english.

if any one could help me with that it would be very much apriciated.

al :cboy:

Fleckvieh DPB":f0wgetgw said:

heterosegeous polled
homosegeous polled
scurs

we have been into the beef for only 2 and a half years so far so i have a bit to learn yet.

we have a dairy farm with mostly holsteins and some brown swiss and ayshire cows.

All of the referals to polled also apply to black color, horned applies the same with red. With color there are some dilutor genes that change things a bit, but I'll make this strictly a black-red/polled-horn explanation.
Heterozygous means one of each gene. One polled and one horned.
Homozygous means both genes are the same.
Polled(black) is dominant. A homozygous polled(black) will alwasy have 100% polled (black) offspring regardless of with horn or color status of the animal it is bred to. A heterozygous polled(black) animal bred to a homozygous horned (red) animal will have half of it's offspring polled (black) and half horned (red).
Each parent passes one gene to it's calf for color and for horn status. Statistically a heterozygous animal will pass a red or black gene 50% of the time and a horned or polled gene 50% of the time.

dun

Fleckvieh DPB":i4w6aedt said:

heterosegeous polled
homosegeous polled
scurs

All of the referals to polled also apply to black color, horned applies the same with red. With color there are some dilutor genes that change things a bit, but I'll make this strictly a black-red/polled-horn explanation.
Heterozygous means one of each gene. One polled and one horned.
Homozygous means both genes are the same.
Polled(black) is dominant. A homozygous polled(black) will alwasy have 100% polled (black) offspring regardless of with horn or color status of the animal it is bred to. A heterozygous polled(black) animal bred to a homozygous horned (red) animal will have half of it's offspring polled (black) and half horned (red).
Each parent passes one gene to it's calf for color and for horn status. Statistically a heterozygous animal will pass a red or black gene 50% of the time and a horned or polled gene 50% of the time.

dun

dun wrote this

what do you mean by red or black?

is it the coulor of the cow or some chemistry or the horn?

Fleckvieh DPB":166wopz1 said:
dun wrote this

what do you mean by red or black?

is it the coulor of the cow or some chemistry or the horn?

No linkage between color and horns other then that they are both sort of on or off gene. Color (black & red) is sometimes easier to understand then how horns work.

The links that others posted probably splane it much more better.

dun

One time I had a corrente breeder tell me if a corrente bull bred a polled cow, if the calf was a heifer she would be polled, but if it was male it would be horned.

Now I would think the playing of the genes in the chances of being polled or horned would be the same as other horned to polled cattle and genders.

Any insite from the longhorn folks and/or corrente folks?

cattle_gal":evkmza5i said:
, if the calf was a heifer she would be polled, but if it was male it would be horned.

Any insite from the longhorn folks and/or corrente folks?

I'm no longhorn or corrente breeder, but I go know that in a hereford...you have to have 2 aleels to get scurrs in a heifer and only one to get scurrs in a bull. So, some of it is sex linked.

Fleckvieh DPB":53kuww7a said:

heterosegeous polled
homosegeous polled
scurs

Scurs are anything from a slick spot to a full horn that is not attached to the skull. You may have seen cattle with horns that flop, they are scurs not horns. You can feel if the spot or horn is attached by checking if it moves when you apply pressure. Push on a horn and you will move the cows head.

cattle_gal":zg7j6tix said:
One time I had a corrente breeder tell me if a corrente bull bred a polled cow, if the calf was a heifer she would be polled, but if it was male it would be horned.

i don't know about corrientes but we've used a longhorn bull in the past on polled hereford heifers & all the calves were polled.

thanx for the replys i think im starting to get it.

certherfbeef those websites sure explained it quite well and i found them quite interesting.

al

SCURS ARE SMALL UNATTACHED HORNS. YOU CAN EASLY MOVE THEM WITH YOUR HAND.

WE HAVE USED CS PURE GOLD WHO IS A HORNED BULL WITH OUR POLLED HEREFORDS AND OUT OF 3.. HAD ONE WITH SCURS THE OTHER 2 WERE POLLED. ALL COWS WERE POLLED. i BELIEVE WHEN YOU CROSS POLLED AND HORNED.. ALOT OF THE PEDIGREE'S STATUS DETERMINES WHETHER OR NOT YOU GET HOERNED.

herefordmom":1zsil91c said:
SCURS ARE SMALL UNATTACHED HORNS. YOU CAN EASLY MOVE THEM WITH YOUR HAND.

WE HAVE USED CS PURE GOLD WHO IS A HORNED BULL WITH OUR POLLED HEREFORDS AND OUT OF 3.. HAD ONE WITH SCURS THE OTHER 2 WERE POLLED. ALL COWS WERE POLLED. i BELIEVE WHEN YOU CROSS POLLED AND HORNED.. ALOT OF THE PEDIGREE'S STATUS DETERMINES WHETHER OR NOT YOU GET HOERNED.

Welcome to the boards!
We used a horned Hereford bull of Hazlett/Turner Ranch bloodlines on polled Hereford cows, and one bull calf was the only calf to have horns, and there were scurs back in his pedigree. (His mother was a Boyd Victor 6090 daughter.)

We used a horn bull before on our bramhan cows but two years ago we bought a polled bull. His calevs last year were all poolled.

That's interesting Double A.. we always use a homozygous polled bull on the Brahmans, and we still get some with horns. Brahmans have an extra "horn" gene that screws up the homozygous polled theory.

TheBullLady":3qqa8ul5 said:
That's interesting Double A.. we always use a homozygous polled bull on the Brahmans, and we still get some with horns. Brahmans have an extra "horn" gene that screws up the homozygous polled theory.

I didnt know that BullLady. Maybe last year ws luck? Our cows will start having babies in the Decmeber and I gues we'll see then if their all poled. We also bouoght two more polled bulls last year to replace two of our horned bulls. Maybe we'll get lukcy with them to. How do you know if a bull is homozgyous polled?

Latest posts