Breeding color off set of Longhorn cross cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
Rented bull to guy this year and he has few Longhorn cross cows and wants to take color off calves to make them worth more. Has used SimAngus/Balancer along with some 4-way composites and Angus of course. Nothing has worked. Is there something that will? Wants to AI next year and I wanted to get someones opinion who has been around them.

Thanks

Spotted longhorn cows will cheated on homozygous black bulls. Charolais bulls will knock the colors off in crossbreeding but not always.

I don't know of anything that will hundred percent, Charlais lightens the color up pretty good and add a lot of muscle to take away from the downfall. all Angus do is turn em black with a line down there back.

heath":1fdp2fk4 said:
I don't know of anything that will hundred percent, Charlais lightens the color up pretty good and add a lot of muscle to take away from the downfall. all Angus do is turn em black with a line down there back.
I don't know about the muscle, I've seen good Charolais x longhorns but I've seen bad ones as well. I also seen spotted yellows and yellow roans out of longhorn cows and a Charolais bull. My dads friend used a Piedmontese bull on his longhorn cows, that bull sure beefed up all calves but not that much and sure don't knock the colors off.

Till-Hill":3cz9j4bn said:
Thanks I was think Charolais too but what about a Non-Spotter Simmental?
I believe that I already said that even a homozygous black bull (regardless of what breed) won't get you 100% solid black calf crop from longhorns. The only one breed that will give you a 100% uniformed calf crop would be a belted bull....but then again nobody wants belted calves.

Editted: do you mean Fleck simmental? Its good cross but you still get spotted calves out of this cross. My late grandpa feed out Fleck x Longhorn cross steers for freezer beef many years ago. Large framed and plenty of muscle on them but they were spotted.

Till-Hill":2w3fp3t6 said:
You will still get spots if the longhorn has smaller spots on the cow. If the cow has a large color pattern or is solid color the calf will be solid.
I have owned a lot of longhorn cows over the years and Charolais is the only cross I have been happy with.

In my experience, the charolais will get you a consistently good selling calf. I have been breeding 150 to 200 longhorn cows to charolais bulls for over 10 years. The charolais bull will get you a yellow or gray calf, some will have light spots. I do not know why, but some char bulls will get almost all yellow calves, some will get almost all gray calves and some will get almost all spotted calves. So, the strain of charolais must make a difference. Also, a horned charolais bull will get almost all horned calves from longhorn cows, although not big horns. A polled charolais bull will get mostly polled calves.

Taurus":18edk8z9 said:
Till-Hill":18edk8z9 said:
I believe that I already said that even a homozygous black bull (regardless of what breed) won't get you 100% solid black calf crop from longhorns. The only one breed that will give you a 100% uniformed calf crop would be a belted bull....but then again nobody wants belted calves.

Editted: do you mean Fleck simmental? Its good cross but you still get spotted calves out of this cross. My late grandpa feed out Fleck x Longhorn cross steers for freezer beef many years ago. Large framed and plenty of muscle on them but they were spotted.
Taurus I am well aware of Homo black bulls that's why I said a non-spotter. There are Homo black Simmental bulls that are spotters along with those that are not.

I will mention to the guy about using a Charolais bull and see what he has to say.

Limi bull makes me wonder as buddy mine has a few baldy cows and runs Limi bulls and he sure don't seem to get much crome on his calves..........anybody else feel same way on Limi's?

Latest posts