breeding/calving interval

Help Support CattleToday:

RockingW

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed on here before but I'm new to this and want some personal advice on it.
What is your normal breeding season as far as length of time goes?
we have always turned bull in mid may but then leave them in most of the summer pulling them out end of August or so. This is mainly due to lack of separate pastures for bulls. I have been putting past records in a computer program and have noticed that several cows are losing a month every year on when they calved. I've considered just leaving bull in for 45 days now then turn back in for 30 days for a fall group of calves.
Am I right n thinking that in 45 days a cow should cycle twice? This would catch the ones losing time every year.

Thanks for any input!!

In 45 days you could end up with 3 cycles. May 15th, June 5th, June 26. Very small % of cows would do that. Most will get 2 shots. If bull is in 45 days remember you will end up with 65-70 day calving season with first ones coming 10 days early and last ones 10-15 days late. I synch cows with at least a lute shot when I turn bull out and try to get a larger % of them 3 chances.

Latest posts