Breeding bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker":3iie126m said:
What are the pro and cons of Breeding and selling registered angus Bulls?

Pros: Angus bulls are the most used bull in the industry; you get a lot of help from the association; EPDs are reliable; different bloodlines to use

Cons: Marketing; competition; demand in your area (These are cons for any breed, I think)

Central Fl Cracker":27ahstwn said:

Pro is the extra nickels you get if you can market it.

Cons would take me a whole lot of space. They can't thrive in my environment they way other breeds can (e.g. Brangus)

I wonder if this would be possibel.
Alot of Florida ranchers buy their bulls from up north would't it be advantages for a Bull breeder to have a sister company in Florida to lower the shipping cost to their southern customers?

Central Fl Cracker":31wtx2c5 said:
Alot of Florida ranchers buy their bulls from up north would't it be advantages for a Bull breeder to have a sister company in Florida to lower the shipping cost to their southern customers?

They won't thrive and grow as big in warmer climates.

Central Fl Cracker":3o7z7f9g said:

One con is that half of your calves will be heifers. ;-)

Central Fl Cracker":jwa5h8br said:
What would a good bull cost for breeding purposes?
im going to stick my neck out here since your in fla i think beefmasters will suit you.they can take the heat.an will be out grazing when other cattle go to the shade an water hole.

bigbull338":3sugxb8f said:
Central Fl Cracker":3sugxb8f said:
im going to stick my neck out here since your in fla i think beefmasters will suit you.they can take the heat.an will be out grazing when other cattle go to the shade an water hole.

There are lots of Chars used in Florida. LOTS of them. The Alabama Char Assoc. guestimated that approx 1000 go south to Fl. each year from just Alabama.

In my opinion, they do better in the heat than the Beefmasters.

MikeC":39w99rts said:
bigbull338":39w99rts said:
Central Fl Cracker":39w99rts said:

There are lots of Chars used in Florida. LOTS of them. The Alabama Char Assoc. guestimated that approx 1000 go south to Fl. each year from just Alabama.

In my opinion, they do better in the heat than the Beefmasters.[/quote that white color no dought does the trick

MikeC":3kslzhq5 said:
Central Fl Cracker":3kslzhq5 said:

Well bred Angus heifers can be worth more than the bulls.

alabama":1k4hbwfp said:
MikeC":1k4hbwfp said:
Central Fl Cracker":1k4hbwfp said:

Well bred Angus heifers can be worth more than the bulls.

As it is with most any breed. I just threw that out there to give him something to chew on.

Breeding animals don't sell themselves is what a lot don't understand.

Mike you are right about breeding bulls not selling them selves. It is all about marketing. I spent years raising cattle but little time on marketing. I am now doing the marketing home work with my reading.

backhoeboogie":113w7jk0 said:
Central Fl Cracker":113w7jk0 said:

They won't thrive and grow as big in warmer climates.

Do the bulls that come from up north, and go down South to Florida, Texas, etc. maintain there body weight and frame better opposed to bulls that were born and raised in a hot, humid climate?

CopeMan":b2dura25 said:
Do the bulls that come from up north, and go down South to Florida, Texas, etc. maintain there body weight and frame better opposed to bulls that were born and raised in a hot, humid climate?

Not in Texas during the summer. They are fine in the winter and there are folks who shuttle cattle. I know nothing first hand about Florida and can only postulate it is the same.

The heat can be really tough on cattle that are acclimated to it. Nights are tolerable for most all breeds. They'll do evening and morning foraging, which helps. You don't want them eating anything over 8 to 9% protein when heat is over 100 degrees. Many grasses are over that level of protein.

Heck I drop weight myself in those conditions.

hey fl cracker
ill make ya a great deal on a limo bull. bred from a full limo bull to a braford cow. wish i could post ya some pics but you can come on by. im in myakka city fl. not fr from you there

Latest posts