Bred heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
What's your opinions on buying bred heifers, I'm not concerned with calving them out. Mainly wanting opinions if they're worth the price. I have a hard time thinking that I can justify paying $2500 for a heifer with prices the way they are. I'm more than likely gonna buy middle ages cows with prices down like they are. Thanks

I prefer buying bred heifers. If they are confirmed bred, properly vaccinated, have been pelvic scored, etc. Meeting those criteria means buying from the producer or at a sponsored special heifer sale that requires these criteria to met.

Ky cowboy":jyf6ihnm said:
What's your opinions on buying bred heifers, I'm not concerned with calving them out. Mainly wanting opinions if they're worth the price. I have a hard time thinking that I can justify paying $2500 for a heifer with prices the way they are. I'm more than likely gonna buy middle ages cows with prices down like they are. Thanks
Sounds high.

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/grd/5701317350.html

$2500 sounds high at this time to me too, unless they may be from good registered stock. I sell bred heifers, and would love it if ours would bring that fall, I'm not optimistic of that happening though.

HDRider":2szhi584 said:
Ky cowboy":2szhi584 said:
Sounds high.

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/grd/5701317350.html

Those are some nice heifers right there. Decent price as well.

Registered will bring a little more.

Margonme":l7io2vat said:
I prefer buying bred heifers. If they are confirmed bred, properly vaccinated, have been pelvic scored, etc. Meeting those criteria means buying from the producer or at a sponsored special heifer sale that requires these criteria to met.

Can you recommend an good source for registered Red Angus bred heifers margon?

Open market bred heifers. Expect 50% to make it to 3 YO. Know the source and that will improve. Price sounds high as heavy bred cows are $1200 - $1500 at the barn.

I put together a pretty good group of open heifers this spring. I've been letting people pick and choose for $1750. I feel like that's about the top of the mark for what they are worth. I haven't advertised them, and won't. I'm down now to the number I want to keep.

Ebenezer":cwldwjbp said:
Open market bred heifers. Expect 50% to make it to 3 YO. Know the source and that will improve. Price sounds high as heavy bred cows are $1200 - $1500 at the barn.

Has not been my experience. I have purchased about 12 bred heifers going back three years. All are still in the herd and I see no evidence of a need to cull. I acknowledge that they were purchased from breeders/producers who have the best track record in my area.

TennesseeTuxedo":g9qqn9p2 said:
Margonme":g9qqn9p2 said:

Sir, I cannot recommend Red Angus to anyone. Personal opinion only. I can recommend some Black Angus breeders. I will send you a PM.

Margonme":3ovx2fyb said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3ovx2fyb said:
Margonme":3ovx2fyb said:

Sir, I cannot recommend Red Angus to anyone. Personal opinion only. I can recommend some Black Angus breeders. I will send you a PM.

Sir, I have loads of Black Angus cattle, I want some proven Red Angus genetics on my farm.

I'm not sure you're even in the cattle business. Are you one of Sir Loin's minions?

Margonme":h5nxfjpe said:
Ebenezer":h5nxfjpe said:

Has not been my experience. I have purchased about 12 bred heifers going back three years. All are still in the herd and I see no evidence of a need to cull. I acknowledge that they were purchased from breeders/producers who have the best track record in my area.

You did good pilgrim not culling or losing any calves out of 12 heifers. Good bred heifers can be bought for $1,500. now around here. You need to remember that a heifer is bringing almost half of what it did 2 years ago.

Grit,

We bought 15 bred heifers in 2012 and had one miscarriage 3 months before she was due but bred back and still put a calf on the ground for that year. All the others delivered unassisted.

To date we still have 14 of the original 15 as we had to cull one due to a back injury.

Ky cowboy":gnvluihg said:

At that price in today's market they will never make a profit

TennesseeTuxedo":2eqrej3y said:
Grit,

We bought 15 bred heifers in 2012 and had one miscarriage 3 months before she was due but bred back and still put a calf on the ground for that year. All the others delivered unassisted.

To date we still have 14 of the original 15 as we had to cull one due to a back injury.

You better knock on M5 or Deepsouth's head TT. We had very few problems till this year, and boy am ready for 2017.
You bought some really nice stock if my memory serves me right.

Bred cows brought up to $1925 last week, no data on bred heifers and they haven't posted today's results yet. I have 7 bred heifers I need to sell and I usually price based on the most current data for our local sale barn then I add for all shots, BANGS, pelvic measured, magnets, bred to registered CED bull plus they're all hand-feeders, easy to work.

Caustic Burno":2yaka1x0 said:
Ky cowboy":2yaka1x0 said:

At that price in today's market they will never make a profit

That's what I am thinking. $1500 Is manageable, I think.

True Grit Farms":obownio4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":obownio4 said:
Grit,

You better knock on M5 or Deepsouth's head TT. We had very few problems till this year, and boy am ready for 2017.
You bought some really nice stock if my memory serves me right.

They are some pretty nice cows to be sure.

True Grit Farms":3schjs1b said:
Margonme":3schjs1b said:
Ebenezer":3schjs1b said:

You did good pilgrim not culling or losing any calves out of 12 heifers. Good bred heifers can be bought for $1,500. now around here. You need to remember that a heifer is bringing almost half of what it did 2 years ago.

Thank you Sir. I misspoke. I did lose a heifer about 3 years ago. A Milestone heifer. AI bred to In Force. Should have been an unassisted birth. Heifer had a high pelvic score - in the 190 cc range. The calf weighed 219 pounds. Was not a terrible pull but the delivery lacerated a uterine artery. The vet got a hemostat on it. She fell dead in the chute. I buried her on the back of the farm and erected a marble monument with these words - at the bottom of this grave lies a great, great heifer!

Latest posts