bred heifers on corn stalks

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeviewwalker

Reaction score
Hi i was wondering for any of you that feed cornstalks in the winter what if anything do you suppplement your cows with? I have three hereford heifers that I am currently feeding baled corn stalks to. I have done some internet searches and found some university studies about this but would like some first hand experience. I am going to be short on hay so I am mixing in some stalks I am also feeding three pounds of dried distillers grain and have a replacement heifer lick tub for them. your thoughts? there hair is shiny and nice i don't know how to acuratly rate BCS but they seem to be in good shape thanks

I'm feeding my bred hereford hiefers corn stalk bales right now and all they are getting with it is a 32% protien tub. I have a BCS app on my phone that helps me rate them and they are still holding around a 6 still from this fall. Don't know if any of that will help, just saying thats what I'm doing and that's how my cows are doing.
:2cents:

It really depends on how well you make them clean it up. Nebraska has done a number of studies on this.

If they eating a significant amount of corn stalk - - then some protein and ionosphore is in order. Lick tubs are too spendy for me but they will work for 3 head. DDG used to be the best deal but its price has not come down like corn. Urea and soybeans are your other common protein options.

I feed stalks and straw for 2 to 3 months each winter - - so I had a "low cost" supplement calculated up last year. It was based on DDG and urea and co product mineral mix.

I fed corn stalks all last winter to everyone and they did fine. They also had a protein lick and loose mineral.

With corn stalks and DDG you are calcium deficient even with lick tubs. Consider mixing loose salt and dical or feed lime 50:50 free choice.

For all you DDG users out there, I just read an article that said as ethanol plants try to derive more energy from corn, the fat content in DDGs has gone from 10% to 2-3%. Maybe everyone already knows this or its not a big deal but I just thought I'd throw it out there so people could be aware of it.

Latest posts