Bred cow / heifer prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I always heard the comment you could afford to pay price of say 5-6 calves for a bull. What do you think is a good average on cows or heifers?

Angus breeder a few miles away had a sale Tuesday, heifers bred to calve in Sept./Oct. started at $2000. Maybe I am a tight wad but just seems high to me, then again I have been selling some $1,000 5 weight steers.

tom4018":33fo7jix said:
I always heard the comment you could afford to pay price of say 5-6 calves for a bull. What do you think is a good average on cows or heifers?

Angus breeder a few miles away had a sale Tuesday, heifers bred to calve in Sept./Oct. started at $2000. Maybe I am a tight wad but just seems high to me, then again I have been selling some $1,000 5 weight steers.

Agree...

You are a tightwad. :D

TennesseeTuxedo":2skdons4 said:
tom4018":2skdons4 said:

Agree...

You are a tightwad. :D
TT, how many $2500 bred cows do you want? Might ought to move my spring cows that are due to calf in this coming winter storm.
:)

My banker calls this "sticker shock". Where people see the sticker price or asking price and think its way too high. Then after a while you'll settle in and get used to these prices, and probably buy some for that price or higher by then. That price may seem high right now but you'll have a hard time finding cows/heifers much cheaper as grass is right around the corner. Around here sale barns are fetching $1800-$2400 for decent quality cows, but a lot of guys sold some the previous year on a hay shortage, so they need to get some back to fill pastures again. Replacement open heifers are in the $1200-1500 range.

my buddy sells 2 reg weaned heifers to buy a reg bred heifer or cow.so that tells me any kind of above av bred cows will cost $2000 to $3500.

At the sale I was at yesterday open registered Gelbvieh and Balancer heifers (12 to 14 mos) sold for $1,300 to $2,000. Short bred heifers sold for $1,500 to $3,000 each.

denvermartinfarms":2ln3iaeg said:
I agree, imo 2000$ for a short bred first stage heifer is high.
Looks like we are the tightwads of the group.

tom4018":27jy53a3 said:

Maybe your somewhat risk-averse like myself. I'll wait until good young bred cows are back around the $800 mark. Would hate to be sitting on big dollar heifers if FMD was discovered in the country tomorrow.

So I am the tightwad of the group!

Aaron":y7eb5m49 said:
tom4018":y7eb5m49 said:

Maybe your somewhat risk-averse like myself. I'll wait until good young bred cows are back around the $800 mark. Would hate to be sitting on big dollar heifers if FMD was discovered in the country tomorrow.

So I am the tightwad of the group!
I understand, anything that can make the market tank crosses my mind. Plus the thought they can die.

Black and Good":28q7q0ai said:
I bought 4 Reg. Black Angus Heifers Approx. 1200 lbs. 7 months bred in December for $2000.00 each. Two of them have calved. B&G
IMO since they were heavy bred, registered, 1200lbs and have calved, looking back I would say you did good, they will probably be good cows for a long time.

tom4018":2g6l3hgf said:
denvermartinfarms":2g6l3hgf said:
I agree, imo 2000$ for a short bred first stage heifer is high.
Looks like we are the tightwads of the group.
I'll go buy 3 850lb heavy bred corriente cows for a total of 2000$ before I'll buy a short bred heifer at 2000$. I may not have the fanciest herd around, but I make money.

The cull cow market is at a record high. All those big bad girls that ate too forage much are going for burger, so folks fight over moderate sized late calving or off color cows to have something in the pasture.. I think heiferettes are the best buy in this market.

denvermartinfarms":1au0qf9l said:
Black and Good":1au0qf9l said:
I bought 4 Reg. Black Angus Heifers Approx. 1200 lbs. 7 months bred in December for $2000.00 each. Two of them have calved. B&G
IMO since they were heavy bred, registered, 1200lbs and have calved, looking back I would say you did good, they will probably be good cows for a long time.
I agree. As of now 3 three have calved unassisted. The other one should calve anytime. I don't look for her to have any trouble as she the biggest one. All bred the same way. B&G

Latest posts