bred and standing

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
In another thread someone mentioned the possibility that a bred cow may actually stand later even though she was pregnant. I've never experienced that has anyone else?? Will they actually stand when their next cycle would have hit or is it random?

The few, very few, thaat I have seen have been when they would normally have cycled again.

We had a cow who stood for the bull when she was 4 months bred. She calved right on schedule and never had any reproductive issues. She showed heat signs in other years when she was bred, and she was always the one who detected other cows in heat.

angus9259":19sbejh9 said:
In another thread someone mentioned the possibility that a bred cow may actually stand later even though she was pregnant. I've never experienced that has anyone else?? Will they actually stand when their next cycle would have hit or is it random?

I have seen it, but not with regularity. Brother had a cow hurt her foot several years ago, and had her in a lot with some butcher calves. A couple of the calves were mounting her, and she would stand for them. He assumed she was open, and was going to sell. (We had to move her out of the pen because they were harrassing her.) I said to let me preg her. Sure enough, I told him she was 120 days bred, and would calve in mid march. Well, I was wrong, she calved in late March. Anyway, does it happen, yes. How often, sometimes, but not very.

jkwilson":3sjh9olp said:
We had a cow who stood for the bull when she was 4 months bred. She calved right on schedule and never had any reproductive issues. She showed heat signs in other years when she was bred, and she was always the one who detected other cows in heat.

Ditto. It doesn't happen often, but it seems to happen to the ones you'd really hate to cull if they were open and later discovered they were really bred.

I worked with a cow once that was in heat every 21 days nearly 365 days a year.

We must have preg checked her four or five times that first year.

She would also git you when she calved. Big cow and she took a big apendix QH out from under me one morning when I rode by her and her new calf was lying in a sink hole and I did not even know she had the calf.

took a long time to get that horse over that. He would darn near pass out when a cow turned and look and him. then he would spin and leave the premises rapidly.

bandit80":1uxg9236 said:
Brother had a cow hurt her foot several years ago, and had her in a lot with some butcher calves.

Our cows stand when the calves mount them, doesn;t mean anything other then they've adjusted to the "boys will be boys" deal. BTW, these are steers and ehifers that moount them. All aprt of the same game they play with each other, except the other calves don;t stand.

Latest posts