Breathing difficulty

Help Support CattleToday:

Alina

Reaction score
I have a calf that seems to be breathing heavily. It isn't very active. What can it be? What should I do?

Sounds to me like some sort of respritory illness. I would take a temp, and ... What ever, get it to a vet if you can. If not treat it with some Nu-Flor per its weight. Its sick. Keep it hydrated.

Scotty

Let me add that there are other resp. antibiotics, I think Nu-Flor is the best.

Scotty

I've said it before, and here I go again. Try Baytril. There can be several types of respiratory problems. Some are resistant to Nuflor. I know this from first hand experience. IMHO, Baytril works fast and does not seem to allow the resistance strains to exist.

I recently also used Baytril for a calf with a respiratory issue. Worked great for me too. Had the vet out & that's what he prescribed, along with Banamine for the fever.

Alina":2t7xe68t said:
I have a calf that seems to be breathing heavily. It isn't very active. What can it be? What should I do?
I have a lot of cattle that act just like that lately. Don't think that any of them are sick. Just the heat/humidity. Try checking your calf at daylight and see if you still notice the heavy breathing. Also check for body fill, ears drooping, etc. Heavy breathing alone is not enough to diagnose a sick calf in August. Especially if it's a black one. In my opinion, of course.

Crowderfarms":1c8xuhbx said:
I've said it before, and here I go again. Try Baytril. There can be several types of respiratory problems. Some are resistant to Nuflor. I know this from first hand experience. IMHO, Baytril works fast and does not seem to allow the resistance strains to exist.

Tried it plenty. Did not work as well for me. The Nu-Flor did. Go with what works.

Scotty

Scotty":1w911pe5 said:

Scotty

Oh ya. Here is another one for you also Crowder

Scotty

Scotty":1ydaa70w said:
Scotty":1ydaa70w said:

Scotty

Oh ya. Here is another one for you also Crowder

Scotty
Use whatever suits you.I just know what I like, and what works for me. If I had continued to use Nuflor on a bull that came down with Pneumonia, he'd be dead. Baytril brought him back.

I agree with Texan on this topic. 103 here today. Lots of cattle here are larthargic, not eating well, breathing hard, etc... Some are even foaming at the mouth and panting with their tongues hanging out. They are not sick, they are HOT. Look at them early in the morning and they are okay. They are just HOT and will be fine.

Don't know about your cattle, I'm not their looing at them.

On the other side of the coin. If it is a onset of something its bettter to hit em early. If you wait to long, recovery is much harder. Have you taken its temp? Is it acting differant from the others? Is its breathing noisy?

Yes, unfortunately it is prescription. I had to get it from the vet because I needed it that day & he charged $86 for 100 ml.

How much does Nuflor cost? I am planning to get some this weekend. No, I haven't taken its temp. This is a feisty little calf bull.

Nu-flor is just as high if not higher, mabe even lower. Neither are cheap. The one calf you only need to buy a single dose. And if memory serves if it says for veterinarian use only you must have a prescription. i say this because my uncle works for Merrial and has sold vet supplies since graduating college. By the way, this justification for every F----ng thing sucks.

Scotty