bread?

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
I feed bread to my cows and pigs. The horse has taken a few slices and loves it. can i give him slices without problems. i have searched the forum and seems ok. he eats grass and sweet feed. i thought about giving him bread once and a while instead of sweet feed. comments?

jvicars":36al8hff said:
I feed bread to my cows and pigs. The horse has taken a few slices and loves it. can i give him slices without problems. i have searched the forum and seems ok. he eats grass and sweet feed. i thought about giving him bread once and a while instead of sweet feed. comments?

Bread = expensive supplement of little value to livestock, IMO.

Bread and other people food is no match for a balanced livestock ration (e.g., bagged feed, range cubes, etc.).

Might be ok for a rare "treat", but livestock things more appropriate.

With good bread ranging between $1.50 and $2.50 a loaf...well, again expensive. On the other hand, if you're buying cheap or "day old" bread, might not cost as much. Just be careful that any bread you feed is not mouldy!

good point but i get the 17$ per truck load old bread. always appears are new. mostly multigrain bread. no sweet stuff.

I wouldnt feed a horse bread. Im sure my horses would eat bread anyways. Really I have to wonder what horse would eat bread if it wasnt really hungry.

my horse has loads of grass in the pasture and gets sweet feed 1x a day. he only gets bread when he steals it from the cows. i dont plan on making it a stable but i did want to get the opinion of the group.

Horse Guy":25oxvl87 said:
I wouldnt feed a horse bread. Im sure my horses would eat bread anyways. Really I have to wonder what horse would eat bread if it wasnt really hungry.

Bread is a pretty common treat thats been fed to horses for years, but it is just that, a treat, similar to apples and carrots.

Since the bread is old, I would be more concerned with it being moldy. Cattle can eat and tolerate stuff that horses can not.

bread is fine to feed horses, it is just ground up wheat, after all.

I would watch three things - mold as mentioned, also I suspect you could founder a horse on too much just like any other grain, and third, I would watch for greedy eating that might cause choking or an impaction. If it was dry and crunchy it should be pretty safe.

jvicars":v311fe86 said:
I feed bread to my cows and pigs.

The horse has taken a few slices and loves it. can i give him slices without problems. i have searched the forum and seems ok. he eats grass and sweet feed. i thought about giving him bread once and a while instead of sweet feed. comments?

I sure wouldn't do it - bread is a simple carbohydrate that breaks down into sugar, and does nothing but put on weight - but, then again, I wouldn't be feeding sweet feed either. If I had the overwhelming need to feed my horse grain - assuming he was not a performance horse, which appears to be the case (if he was a performance horse, you probably would not be asking this question to begin with - but I could be wrong on that) - I would stick with simple oats. Much less potential for problems for me, as well as the horse that way.

A slice of bread,as a treat ok---Bread instied of feed NO-NO-NO.. Don't like sweetfeed as main feed either.

spinandslide":17p9mku5 said:
Horse Guy":17p9mku5 said:

Bread is a pretty common treat thats been fed to horses for years, but it is just that, a treat, similar to apples and carrots.

Was on an Elk hunt years back. Grass was hard to find. Had to call the hunt off because we couldnt find enough grass for the horses. The only place there was grass is where the elk where so if we camped there we would have chased the elk. Anyway we had apples with us. Tried mixing it with there grain rations and there was no way the horses would eat the apples.
Must be an eastern thing where horses will eat wierd stuff?

I have one that eats almost anything. Worse than any goat I have seen. Ate the bark off of three Cedar trees I planted some years back and killed them. Eats the leaves off of the maple tree, anything out of the garden except Basil leaves, ice. Just about anything he can get his mouth on. He must have an iron constitution as it has never bothered him.

LOL, could be horse guy..

When I was a kid, I fed my old TB Mike & Ike's, he liked the green ones, but none of the other ones. We'd go down to the Wawa(7-11 in New Jersey) and I'd buy a big box and share it with him :eek: Stupid kid...

I have a mare now that will eat anything you feed her. Her previous owner told me her favorite are Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes and Cherry Coke... I admit shes had coke with me, but Ive not given her chocolate cupcakes.

Friend of mine had a pony horse on the track that would mow you down if he thought you had beer, he even drank it from the glass..

"Charlie" would drink Coke from the bottle,loved pepermints,ate
hot dogs with chili,dill pickle-most everything I was eating,he wanted a bite-or the whole thing..

jvicars":3222s2er said:

I feed it to my cows too! And my horses will come and push them away to eat it. They have been eating int since last april. Nothing has happend...

I feed my Brahma Bull apples.He even drank a bottle of Shiner Bock Beer once.Most time I buy the big bag of mixed apples just for him.He is such a big pet,he thinks he is a horse sometimes.Ever thought about riding him? :shock:.

Shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Fed bread to my horses all me life. Use it to catch em', treat em' whatever. They love it. Whether it be the left over loaves from the bakery...which we dont visit too often anymore..or just the crusts and stuff from the bread we have at home. A bit of mould doesn't hurt them either - mine are still alive. lol.

Skye.

bread works great for giving wormer. i make 2 wormer sandwiches for my horses and the wormers goes done without a hitch .works well and no wormer problems.

Jerry Clowers said he fed his dogs turnip greens. When asked how'd they like he said "well they didn't care much for them the first month but now they are eating them pretty good".

Latest posts