BRD ?

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I have been treating some of my herd with Nuflor for pneumonia . $90 a bottle and going through it pretty quick . I've noticed a small cough in some of the heifers/cows today , this started in just calves . They don't have a head down and moping around type attitude. Seem fine other than small quick cough and some have runny nose . They obviously don't feel that bad . I'm keeping a close eye on them . Anything else I should do ? How long will this last ?

Do they have pneumonia?
or just lung lesions from having pneumonia as a calf? [nothing can be done about that]
Treat calves aggressively to help prevent lesions.
Have you taken temps?
Snot in nose with 104+ temp definitely treat.
I'd check to know for sure before spending more money.
$90 for 100 ml bottle is 90 cents per cc and that size bottle doesn't go far.
6cc per l00 lbs is $5.40 per 100 lbs treated.
250 ml bottle of Nuflor-gold costs me $175 or 70 cents per cc or $4.20 per 100 lbs treated
How long will it last?
Once a lunger always a lunger.
I assume your ibr bvd pi3 brsv vacs are up to date.
Do you use Presponse? If not, I'd consider using Pyramid 5 + Presponse to vaccinate in the future.

You could consider running a 5 day pulse of CTC through them, if you have a feasible method to do it. That may give you a little late term abortion protection also.

The pneumonia started with a heifer calf , then spread to most of my smaller calves , the calved treated seem much better . Now I'm seeing the cough/snot nose showing up in some of the cows/heifers .

- No prior pneumonia/lung lesions , I don't have much respiratory experience and have read about some horror stories googling for information , just looking for some examples from experience and details about this

- My vet is involved and we are doing what we can to stay on top of this

and the cows/heifers were vaccinated for respiratory , some very recent ( not sure how long it takes to work - they where vaccinated 2/14/15 and 2/1/15

- My catch system has to improve many of the calves where not vaccinated b/c of this I should add , all cows/heifers were

I'm still dealing with BRD , I hear they make a medicated mineral with CTC in it that really helps too . Have others used this and had success ?

Latest posts