Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

I would be very careful of their birth weights. A few years back a friend of mine got into them.. bought an expensive bull and brought it home to his crossbred, primarily Charlois based cattle and had a train wreck.

TheBullLady":2xtihlum said:
I would be very careful of their birth weights. A few years back a friend of mine got into them.. bought an expensive bull and brought it home to his crossbred, primarily Charlois based cattle and had a train wreck.
cross's like that can be a train wreck ...regardless of birthweights

alacattleman":gskujuku said:
TheBullLady":gskujuku said:
cross's like that can be a train wreck ...regardless of birthweights

yea, kind of hard to blame it on the bull - he did his job.

ROB

If any of you want to advise somebody that want to try to make it raising cattle.
Don't advise in something that they will be discounted on.
Braunviehs have limited market value.

If that statement was true there wouldn't be a black animal left in Canada; there was a time not so long ago when they were severely discounted. Straight Herefords in our area still face that problem. There isn't anything wrong with those breeds; although some may argue. Nobody would calve in the winter either; might get discounted on frozen ears, tails (in our country anyway).

In 2005 I bought some replacement heifers at a sale to use as recips. The top dollar earners were two groups of 4 beautiful Braunvieh heifers, I was tempted but they went for 10-15 cents a pound more than the rest of the heifers.. My neighbor bought them, he still has them in his herd and he runs Angus and Gelbvieh bull on his girls.

I think it is relative to the area you live in, just like black usually will not take top dollar here .

TALKED TO A FRIEND WHO HAS A BRAUNVIEH BULL HE USED ON HIS PREDOM. BLACK COWS, THE CALVES THAT WERE OUT OF STRAIGHT BLACK COWS WERE SMOKEY COLORED BUT THE CALVES OUT OF THE OTHERS WERE MIXED IN COLORS . DOWN SOUTH IF IT AIN'T BLACK IT GETS DISCOUNTED 1-3 CENTS PER HUNDRED.