Braunvieh X Beefmaster cross??

Help Support CattleToday:

RockingW

Reaction score
I'm new here, I see there can be some....... interesting conversations! I wanted to throw out a question and see what kind of response I get. I've been slowly taking over more responsibilities and ownership of the cattle portion of the family farm, and I've been considering developing my own replacement females using first generation cross of braunvieh and beefmaster breeds. Has anybody had any experience with that specific cross? I live in NW Missouri so we have a wide range of weather from -15 in winter to extremely hot and humid summers. I'm kind of torn about trying anything new, you know the saying "if it ain't broke......" we have been using several different breeds in the past ranging from almost pure Hereford when grandpa ran them to several generations of Angus lately with Shorthorn, simmental, gelbvieh, limousine, Saler, mixed in the middle. Dad has always bought the best bull he could afford in each breed and it has paid off. Last year our first calf was on ground 2/16 and when we sold them around the first of december we had 11 average 811 lbs out of 53 head sold. I thought that was ok! Back to original question... would the braunvieh X beefmaster female bred back to angus match WW with perhaps less pinkeye, fertility issues, and more consistency? Sorry for the lengthy post!!

The only problem I see is the possible dock for the amount of ear on the calves in your area

dun":3ulf40lq said:
The only problem I see is the possible dock for the amount of ear on the calves in your area

I had hoped that the end product, angus calves off those mammas would be ok?? I've seen that braunvieh also has a age source verification program that might help sell some of the undesireable looking calves. Don't know many details on that yet, as far as how it works. I think the animal only has to be 25% braunvieh so any of the calves would be eligible.

why dont you put a reg beefmaster on your existing cow herd.an see what their calves weigh when you sell them.a beefmaster bull adds alot to the calf crop.2 things i can think of are 1. the calves hitt the ground growing2.your weaning weights should increase.using the cross your talking about is good.but if you put a angus bull on them i think youll be going backwards on your weaning weight.

Thanks for the input. I had considered getting a beefmaster bull to use on existing cows to give me a baseline. What I've been thinking about is this... by this fall I plan on doing a fairly hard culling of my current herd, and I'm going to be able to increase my herd capacity by around 50% of its current level due to other reasons. I was thinking about buying several bred cows/heifers of each of the two breeds then if one of the reg. Beefmaster cows raises a decent bull using him on existing cows and some of the braunvieh cows. Then using the braunvieh bull I just bought on the beefmaster cows.
The reason I would breed back to angus is because they just sell better here, and help carcass??
Thanks again for input.

why dont you put a reg beefmaster on your existing cow herd.an see what their calves weigh when you sell them.a beefmaster bull adds alot to the calf crop.2 things i can think of are 1. the calves hitt the ground growing2.your weaning weights should increase.using the cross your talking about is good.but if you put a angus bull on them i think youll be going backwards on your weaning weight.

I think you should follow Bigbull on this coupled with adding to your Herd, going angus sired I feel you will go backwards, so you telling us that 11 averaged around 2.5 a day for weight gain, any animal that is healthy should do 2.5 a day all things being equal, really Beefmaster are in top three for WW and YW.

Latest posts