Braunvieh Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

braunviehnation

Reaction score
I would like to know if a braunvieh steer can compete in the steer show against breeds such as angus, baldies, charlois, and etc...?

It depends on the show. If it is a 3 breed format (smaller shows) you will most likley show with all exotics (Maine,Chi, Limi cross'e etc.). Most major shows he will run as an AOB or Exotic. Herefords, Angus, Charolais all shown only with their own breed at major shows. Hope that clears it up a bit. Your CEA or VoAg Instructor should be able to tell you exactly what classes you will fit into at each show.

its a county show in navaroo county and they dont have classes like that but i heard if i majored him he would fall under some catergories like that

Also i heard most judges dont know what a braunvieh is. But they should since they are a judge

If they do not know what he is, they need to go back to school. But it makes little difference wether they know or not. Amoung steers they are not judgeing for breed phenotype. They are comparing him to all the other steers in the class. Looking for the best steer period.

yea i heard that to i just think if he dont know how braunviehs are then he will through me out i am suppose to go take pictures of him today so you can tell me he is not a full though hes 7/8 braunvieh and 1/8 angus i dont have a clue its my first year and my aunt shows braunviehs in opens and she does a hel of a job with them she already got grand in tyler with a hiefer and a bull which is the parents of my steer

and also his momma gave him some good milk and he is well boned i like him alot but i understand they dont judge them by the breed i am just afraid when i put him on the scales at the hot fair of texas in waco there going to classify him as a dairy calf and that will piss me off but braunviehs are not classify as dairy and everybody i know that seen my steer asked me why are you showing a brown swiss i know they look the same but they need to do some research on braunviehs

At HOT he will be classified as AOB or Exotic. Even if they wanted to there is no classification for Dairy. AOB is ALl other breeds. Post a picture of him.

This is Ranger he weighs 526 lbs.

Front:
Picture021.jpg

Side:
Picture019.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Rear:
Picture018.jpg

Tell me what you think and be honest.

Take a look at the steers on this website. http://www.schroedershowsteers.com/champions.htm#08
If im correct the first is a Braunvieh. Notice the hind quarter on all of them. Then compare with yours. He needs lots of feed. He may not be quite thick enough. The lines on him look pretty good, but he needs more bone. His hip isnt quite right. Needs more dimension and bloom. He toes out on the front. I'm being super critical so please do not get offended. The show ring is harsh at times and youve got to be as ready as possible. You can not fix everything but the things I would reccomend are following. You only have 2 months (at best) before HOT. Free choice finisher with vita ferm sure champ pellets. one hoof clipping immediatley and then one about 2 weeks before the show. When your ready to start looking for a steer for next year pm me.
Good Luck!

you aint criticizing me at all i really apprecite it and i am a senior and this will be my last year i live in dawson if you waqnt to come down and take a look and explain to me better

braunviehnation":33u7714e said:
were boyfriend and girlfriend

Just wondered as I noticed it was the same person holding her steer as the one holding yours.

When is your show and when was he born? Generally for our county fair, the steers are close to 14 months old at show time.

Latest posts