Braunvieh Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

braunviehnation":1n6qo3c4 said:

OK. dont panic. Ithought you were talking about the HOT fair in october. You've got time!
perhaps I could come by sometime in the next month. However, before I do I'd like to make sure that it is OK with the parents and Ag teacher or County Ext agent. Are you doing this through FFA or 4H?
But I still believe that you should start building him up to free choice finisher. What feed are you feeding him now? As mentioned earlier, he needs to be on a regular schedule for hoof clipping.
After youve gotten approval from the parents ill send you my cell #.

i am doing this thorgh 4 h and steve our leader said its fine talked to him the other day about it i am feeding him showmaster calf grower right now i sheired him yesterday but i am also going to tyler with him

It can be difficult to evaluate an animal from pictures because sometimes the animal looks a whole lot different in person.

When you take him to the show, listen carefully to what the judge says about him.

From what I see in the pictures (and I realize that he is young), he is lacking in his muscling in his hindquarters. He has what my daughter calls "cat hams". In the profile, he comes down pretty straight from his tail to his hocks.

Also you will need to find someone to trim his hooves in the future, He toes out a bit on the front. You might want to check into a throatlatch sweat to tighten his neck as he matures.

http://www.sullivansupply.com/Texas/det ... x?ID=14048

Good luck and keep us updated.

I am not trying to be negative, but my honest opnion is that your steer does exhibit more of a Swiss appearence than Branuvieh. And don't take offence when people ask why you have a Swiss steer, Brown Swiss and Branuvieh are much the same as Shorthorn and Milking Shorthorn. Not really diffrent breeds just lines of cattle from the same breed that have been selected for two diffrent pourposes. As I am typing this in my office I am sourrounded by banners from Madison, NAILE and various state fairs that I won with my Swiss herd in the late '80s and early '90s. The cows and bulls I have pictured from that time are not the same type of Brown Swiss being bred today. If I were to take one of thoes cows out today to a dairy show people would have the same response as thay have had with you by saying "This is not a beef show" .

I agree the steer does not look the type of a typical Braunvieh, he lacks thickness, bone and muscle definition. However, I will correct you in that Braunvieh and Brown Swiss are not similar or from the same line. They were back in 1900 when Brown Swiss was developed from Braunvieh. Since then the breeds have grown way apart and now have no genetic significance whatsoever. I can say this with confidence as our breed recently had the genetics analyzed and that was the results. If Braunvieh had to be compared to something, Gelbvieh would be the best answer. They also had some similarities to Charolais, probably from being in close proximity of origin.

sorry to say his mom got grand in houston and his dad has champion bloodline so it might show in march how much talent he as we will just wait and see i dont think he looks like a brown swiss at all

You know, a lot of people on this thread offered you advice in a really gentle way, and obviously you havent taken it. You are barn blind when it comes to this steer. Take off your rose coloured glasses! He lacks muscle, he lacks bone. He is fine and dainty and yes, exhibits more of a dairy phenotype than a beef phenotype. If he was in a guess the breed competition, my guess would have been brown swiss. He has no natural muscle expression.

Which of these looks more like your calf?
300px-Brown_swiss.jpg

steer3.jpg

This dairy steer has more muscling than your calf!
branchHook081508.jpg

The thing is, you can breed the champion cow to the champion bull and you wont necessarily get a champion calf. Its not that easy.

dog me out some more you need to do some dang research yes there closely related but wait i will post more pictures then tell me what he looks like that pic was almost 5 months ago wait till you see him now get on about 8:00 tonight then see what you think braunvieh all the way hell if you would read you would nt BE LIKE THIS

braunviehnation":alx0ogba said:
dog me out some more you need to do some dang research yes there closely related but wait i will post more pictures then tell me what he looks like that pic was almost 5 months ago wait till you see him now get on about 8:00 tonight then see what you think braunvieh all the way be nice if you would read you would nt BE LIKE THIS

You are going to take that calf to Navarro county in March? They break it down by four classes top 7 to 9 will sell out of each class. With the caliber of calves that will be there this year you will be lucky to find one of those holes. I put a calf in one of the top three holes there my ten years of showing there. That show has gotten tougher and tougher every year and ten years ago a calf like that would hit a sale hole. Not now.

Latest posts