Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

osj_99_25":1pn4gqm1 said:
Is a brangus bull ok for pure angus heifers. Are they low birth weight?

By nature, no they are not naturally low birth weight. LBW brangus Bulls are available though. Same could be said of all breeds though.

I have a couple brangus bulls, both with a BW in the 60s, i've never pulled a calf that was out of a brangus bull, but ive also bred more heifers to a charolais bull than anything else ive ever had, and i never had problens there either. For any black cows with no ear a brangus is exactly what I would use.

Never had a problem with that kinda deal. Brangus calves seem to come easy to me. I just brought a. Young brangus bull home from spending winter with neighbors small herd. Standing next to a similar age angus bull the frame is larger, but also leaner, not as blocky, much smaller head, and more narrow in shoulders. Maybe something to that?

osj_99_25":2i1w35s9 said:
For the Rio Grande area, I'd rather it be the other way around....just sayin.

osj_99_25":1ortuez4 said:
@1982vett, are you saying that because brangus do better in this kind of environment, or because of the birth weight?

The bos indicus (Brahman) blood in the Brangus will help them tolerate heat better than straight bos taurus.

I've never had to assist a brangus cow with calving...not even heifers. It's as much the cows ability to calve as using low birth-weight bulls. We finally got to where we hardly paid any attention to birth weights in deciding on matings. Regardless of the bull and the EPD's seems the calf was not going to weigh over 80 lbs. and that old gal was gonna spit it out like a water melon seed and it would be up sucking in 15 minutes.

osj_99_25":59kn3dx7 said:
@1982vett, are you saying that because brangus do better in this kind of environment, or because of the birth weight?
Environment....The Angus cows and bulls I have/had spend/spent a lot of time in the water ponds in the Summer and you are way farther south. Not saying they won't perform...I'm just a little suprised.

My track record with Brangus isn't as good as TB's. I have lost some heifers as well as cows.....bred to Angus and Hereford. But birth weight wasn't an issue. They come 75 - 85 lbs and put grow fast.

Ok, I'm looking at this brangus bull for my angus heifers, the owner tells me that his herd bull has produced mid 70 lbs bulls and heifers in the 60 lbs range. Is that more or less what a low birth weight bull should produce?

I bought some Brangus bred angus once that were palpated 6 months and two weeks later they started calving....55 lb calves...tiny little things. They grew ok... An angus heifer calving at 2 years of age should have no problem having a 70 lb calf.

osj_99_25":2sqqtbqa said:
Ok, I'm looking at this brangus bull for my angus heifers, the owner tells me that his herd bull has produced mid 70 lbs bulls and heifers in the 60 lbs range. Is that more or less what a low birth weight bull should produce?

If what he says is accurate, I would say absolutely. I would look at the dam's genetics also, along with the bull's epds and actual birthweight.

1982vett":3hugpuba said:
osj_99_25":3hugpuba said:
For the Rio Grande area, I'd rather it be the other way around....just sayin.

Angus heifers are a lot cheaper than Brangus heifers in South Louisiana, same is probably true for South Texas.

If that was my money I would fall calve the heifers using a Brangus bull.