Brangus Gelbvieh cross.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Considering this cross to get some replacement heifers and to sell some bulls as heresies. What are yalls thoughts on this cross. Will be a brangus bull on gelbvieh cows.

Heresies? Nah, I wouldn't classify a BrangusXGelbvieh cross as heresy...

Oughta make some decent cows...don't know what sort of demand there'd be for the bulls.

I did a beefmaster cross, I like em. I think it will help down here with the heat, for replacements. our Brangus and Beefmasters do well here. I am in central alabama.

A guy near me used this cross years ago, and the females were really nice. He used a red Gelbvieh bull on Brangus cows and most of the calves were black but some were brown like a chocolate lab.

Gelbvieh and Angus make a great cross. For areas where a little ear is needed, I would think that Gelbvieh/Brangus would work well.

The American Gelbvieh Association registers "Southern Balancers". If I remember correctly, a Southern Balancer is a cross between Gelbvieh or Balancer with any of indicus breeds (i.e. Santa Gertrudis, Simbrah, Brangus, Beefmaster, Brahman, etc.). Bar T Bar Ranch in Arizona is crossing Brangus with Gelbviehs and Balancers to make Southern Balancers, and from what I understand they are pleased with the cattle.

Only thing I'd do different providing you don't already have the cows is, gelbvieh bull, Brangus cows...I know you're near me.. I think those bulls will be a hard market around here....but the heifers should do well..

What would be the reason for the gelbvieh bull on brangus cows instead of other way around would it be that the gelbvieh cows require more feed input due to being heavy milkers

southernultrablack":2huiy3fj said:
What would be the reason for the gelbvieh bull on brangus cows instead of other way around would it be that the gelbvieh cows require more feed input due to being heavy milkers

I tired some gelbvieh cows in this sauna and they are no longer with us.
They were not the better cow on Bahia grass with our heat in the summer with their
milk production. Raised a heck of a calf cept they looked like a gut with the shyt slung out
by the time you pulled the calf. In a climate with higher quality forage than we can grow here
they would be a better fit IMO.
Know of one fellow using a bull on a herd of Herefords and gets some really nice calfs.
I agree with Cowman on this good advice IMO.

Latest posts