Brands

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
What are those white looking brands that are seen on alot of cattle? Ones in particular are the Gardiner bulls and Whitestone cattle Are these freeze brands?

yes all tthe white brands you see on cattle are freeze brands the other brands turn the hair dark an are hard to clearly read scott

I had horses freeze branded the hair all grew back in white. so that would be it. but don't believe them when they tell you that kind of branding don't hurt, it must burn something fierce as all 5 horses were out trying to lay the brand area on the cold ground for hours afterwards.

Thurliss":2ai6yhph said:
I had horses freeze branded the hair all grew back in white. so that would be it. but don't believe them when they tell you that kind of branding don't hurt, it must burn something fierce as all 5 horses were out trying to lay the brand area on the cold ground for hours afterwards.

That's interesting. We had two of our horses freeze branded and it never phased either one of them. I would think that freeze branding would be the same regardless of who actually did the branding, but maybe not.

We use freeze brands on our cattle, and does seem like it is less stressful for the calves. Plus it is a little cleaner, less messy when they peel. But you do have to shave the area that is going to be branded, leave on the brand on the calf longer(but not too long), and soak them in liquid nitrogen, so freeze branding does require more time and labor. The worst part is that with certain color patterns(especially longhorns) is that with age the brands become harder to read.

Latest posts