Branding???

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
Nobody around my area seems to mark their cows in any way I can see. Is this normal or are they all just hopeful. I can't afford to lose mine if they happen to get out. What do you all suggest?

Where you are helps.

First call your state capital and find out if there is a Brand Inspection service there.
Do they have recorded brands?
If so find yourself one that is not claimed.
It should list description and placement. (RR right rib; LR left rib; RS right shoulder; LS left shoulder; RH right hip; LH left hip.)

Our brands come up for re-registering every 10 years.

Just because you brand them there is no 100% chance they won't be stolen. Know a couple who's neighbor rounded up a dozen of his best replacement heifers and sold them at auction. Luckily the brand inspector was on his toes and caught it. Unfortunately the heifers had already gone through the ring, but they got the money for them and not the neighbor.

melking":23uk92iw said:
Nobody around my area seems to mark their cows in any way I can see. Is this normal or are they all just hopeful. I can't afford to lose mine if they happen to get out. What do you all suggest?
you aint in alabama are you :cowboy:

If they're stolen a brank may help, if they just stray off an ear tag will help.

Here in Texas a registered brand is the only legal proof of ownership (or prior ownership) . Ear tags or bangs tags are worthless for that purpose.

Latest posts