branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer20

Reaction score
just curious if anyone brands on the ribs. If not why not? I will be branding soon and am looking for the best place. Thanks

hold the phone.theres a few qs we need the answers to fore you start branding.is your brand reged at your county clerks office.if so where did you reg your brand on the ribbs.my brand is reged at the county clerks office.an its a right side ribb brand.

At the moment its not reg. The main reason for doing so is that on this land its not just my cows, so it keeps anyone from being confused. What all does it involve in getting it reg. and as far as the looks do you have any rib photos? Thanks

Yes, you can brand on the rib. But, first you need to have a brand, that is registered to you and for that location. There are in fact, 6 different locations that you can brand a cow on. The shoulders, the rib and the hip.

You cannot just go out and put whatever brand you want, wherever you want it.

The biggest reason not to put a brand on the rib, is that it damages the hide, and is not as easy to cut out as one that is on the hip.

Pharmer20":2oo4wo5b said:
just curious if anyone brands on the ribs. If not why not? I will be branding soon and am looking for the best place. Thanks

Yes, we branded on the ribs for quite a number of years. Our brand was a left rib Lazy H-T. I'm not sure there is a best place, because the state usually ends up designating where the brand is going to be. I do not believe that one can simply choose a brand and start using it - in order for a brand to be legal means of identification it must be registered with the state. I would strongly suggest you contact your state Livestock Board prior to branding any cattle. They can tell you whether the brand you have chosen is available, and what you need to do to register that brand.

Pharmer by having a registered brand keeps your cattle from being sold at a stock yard without your knowledge. If the brand is nor registered to you then don't use it.
A brand is a mark of ownership.
Two of our brands except for one is on the right rib the last one is on the left shoulder.

I had the brand custom made, but have not gotten it registered yet. So i should wait until it is registered to put it on them? How much will it cost to get branded?

We are in Colorado where they register the brand but give the rancher the choice of location. I hope you get the brand you want since you already have the irons. We ended up sending in 10 choices before we finally got the okay.

We recently went to freeze branding and love it--it is so much easier on the calves.

Your state dept. of agriculture probably has a livestock identification bureau. You should be able to find all the info you need on their web page. It's not hard to register a brand, just hard to choose one that's not already taken. Most or many states have a brand book that you can look at on-line and each brand design can usually be registered 6 times, one time for each location on the animal. If you brand your cattle with a brand that's registered to someone else, you're basically saying they belong to that person, not you (besides not being legal to even do it). Each state may have other rules too, like in CA freeze brands aren't considered legal ID, only fire/electric brands are. Don't use your brand until you get it registered. Hopefully, it's not taken already, or if it is, maybe you'll be able to get it registered in a different location on the animal that you were expecting. Good luck

2/B or not 2/B":30cyaoxt said:
Your state dept. of agriculture probably has a livestock identification bureau. You should be able to find all the info you need on their web page. It's not hard to register a brand, just hard to choose one that's not already taken. Most or many states have a brand book that you can look at on-line and each brand design can usually be registered 6 times, one time for each location on the animal. If you brand your cattle with a brand that's registered to someone else, you're basically saying they belong to that person, not you (besides not being legal to even do it). Each state may have other rules too, like in CA freeze brands aren't considered legal ID, only fire/electric brands are. Don't use your brand until you get it registered. Hopefully, it's not taken already, or if it is, maybe you'll be able to get it registered in a different location on the animal that you were expecting. Good luck

When we registered our brank in CA we had to submit a couple of choices for the brand and each of the 6 locations in order of preference. Used to only be 15 bucks for 3 years, bit it's a lot higher now!

I went to our dept. of ag. and sat down with the brand guy. He helped us design our brand around what we wanted, due to the one we wanted was already taken. We designed it, picked a brand location, payed the small fee and they send us a renewal every so many years. Done deal and legal. At the sale yard close to here there was just a case of recovered stollen cattle due to there brand. But you are breaking the law if you use a brand that isn't registered to you.
Double R

When we registered our brank in CA we had to submit a couple of choices for the brand and each of the 6 locations in order of preference. Used to only be 15 bucks for 3 years, bit it's a lot higher now

Dun,
Just paid mine and it was $60 for three years now. Still a small price to pay when they bring you your cattle back, right ;-)
Take care,
Double R

Double R Ranch":29gw6srj said:
When we registered our brank in CA we had to submit a couple of choices for the brand and each of the 6 locations in order of preference. Used to only be 15 bucks for 3 years, bit it's a lot higher now

Dun,
Just paid mine and it was $60 for three years now. Still a small price to pay when they bring you your cattle back, right ;-)
Take care,
Double R

I wouldn't be too sure of that - brands can still be altered. ;-)

msscamp":2s35maef said:
Double R Ranch":2s35maef said:

Dun,
Take care,
Double R

I wouldn't be too sure of that - brands can still be altered. ;-)

True but I know that our brand inspector check pretty carefully and if the brand isn't very healed, he wants paperwork on the cattle, even if I bought them had them for a couple months and then sold them which I have had to do. Bought a cow then it went crazy so I took it back to the auction. I had branded it 3 months before I sold it back but he still made me bring in the purchase papers. That is how they cought the most recent guy at the auction. He had cattle that he altered brands on but couldn't prove they were his and they caught on and busted him.
Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. I know what you are saying though 8) :cboy: Take it easy.
DBL R

In the East there are no brand Registries or brand inspectors.

I don't know how far all this extends but I know around here in the mid atlantic states there is no formal brand program.

the original poster did not say where they were.

Also a freeze brand is not damaging to the hide. A hot brand is.
but a good freeze brand is more difficult to achieve.

pdfangus":2enum6pa said:

I don't know how far all this extends but I know around here in the mid atlantic states there is no formal brand program.

State brand laws

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/brands/brand.htm

dun":3ah8qsta said:
pdfangus":3ah8qsta said:

State brand laws

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/brands/brand.htm

From your link.
Nine states in the east have no program

I live in virginia and below is the extent of the Virginia program
(which is a nice way of saying we don't have one)

It has so little application that I did not know North Carolina had as extensive a program as they do.
Very few folks in this part of the world brand or have a need to. I did not say it was a bad idea just that it is not routinely done.

VIRGINIA BRAND LAWS
VIRGINIA STATUTES
TITLE 3.1. AGRICULTURE, HORTICULTURE AND FOOD.
CHAPTER 19. GRADES, MARKS AND BRANDS GENERALLY.
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS.

3.1-337 Definitions.

For the purpose of this article:

(1) "Agricultural product" means any horticultural, viticultural, dairy, livestock, poultry, bee or other farm or garden product;

(2) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

(3) "Director" means the Director of the Division of Marketing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

(4) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation or association.

3.1-338 Establishment of grades, marks, brands, etc.

In order to promote, protect, further and develop the agricultural interests of this Commonwealth, the Director, with the approval of the Commissioner, is authorized and empowered, after investigation, to establish and promulgate grades, trademarks, brands and other markings which when used on or in connection with agricultural products will indicate grade, classification, quality, condition, size, variety, quantity, and/or other characteristics of such products and/or marks identifying the party responsible for the grading and marking of such products, and/or any or all of them; to prescribe and promulgate rules and regulations governing the voluntary use of such grades, trademarks, brands and other markings for such agricultural products produced and/or packed and/or marked in this Commonwealth.

Reviewed by AAHS in July 2001.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to Top of This Page
Return to Brand Laws Page