Branding Vs. Not Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Someone told me the other day th at they don't brand there calves because they bring more at the sale. How much more would they bring. I can't see them bringing that much more but I could be wrong. Does it matter with slaughter calves to, or is it just cows and replacment heifers.

it wont make enough difference to worry about as long as you dont brand on the ribs or dont use a huge brand. put it on their hip or leg and you wont be docked.

it wont make enough difference to worry about as long as you dont brand on the ribs or dont use a huge brand. put it on their hip or leg and you wont be docked.

Why do you put it on the rump and not the ribs? I would have thought it'd be the other way around.

The reason that branding is docked at the sale barn is due to the value of the leather (i.e the hide) If there is a brand on the ribs that is smack dab in the middle of the hide so the value of the leather is decreased. If the brand is low on the leg or high on the hip near the tail head that area can be cut away from the hide with little loss. Branding rarely affects the muscle under the skin UNLESS it is applied wrong and much too long causing deeper scaring.

sidney411":pdw9k1s4 said:
Branding rarely affects the muscle under the skin UNLESS it is applied wrong and much too long causing deeper scaring.

Not trying to highjack the thread, but I have to ask. How do you know
how long to leave the iron on them? I asked the "Old timers" and all
I get is.. "yo'll know" or "It depends". Now remember im a newbie,
and its my job to ask stupid questions :p but I aint skeered to try
almost anything once, or learn anything new :)

OK, that makes sense! :) I never thought about it from that aspect...I figured it was related to the muscle/meat underneath, and there's obviously more meat on the hindquarters vs the ribs.

Obviously my calves aren't wearing brands. :p :lol:

Plowboy_TX":11zn0eo0 said:
Not trying to highjack the thread, but I have to ask. How do you know
how long to leave the iron on them? I asked the "Old timers" and all
I get is.. "yo'll know" or "It depends". Now remember im a newbie,
and its my job to ask stupid questions :p but I aint skeered to try
almost anything once, or learn anything new :)

When branding with a hot iron, I like the iron to be ash grey, not glowing orange. Then apply brand firmly to animal for about 3-5 seconds. The brand should look like saddle leather when complete.

In real life though, the animal usually jumps; therefore, I immediately remove the iron and re-apply until the brand is deep enough (looks like saddle leather), being careful not to smear.

when we got on the dairy buy out, we had to brand all cows & caves on the side of the face. made my own branding irons & would get them red & do two cows with the same iron. the hotter the iron the less time needed. i practiced on wood first to leave good brown burn to estimate needed time

Is it a lot harder to do a brand on the face as opposed to the hip? It would seem they would move their head a lot more then their butt.

would tattooing achive the same results for you?
a tattoo in one of the ears would allow you to prove ownership I would think.

dj":mf9x6eha said:

A tattoo is fine,but the animal needs to be restrained to read it.Where as a properly applied brand can be seen at a glance.

frenchie":ft7zalku said:
dj":ft7zalku said:

A tattoo is fine,but the animal needs to be restrained to read it.Where as a properly applied brand can be seen at a glance.

You could always implant an EID chip, if you just used the ear tag kind they would just cut them out if they were stolen.

dun

Latest posts